Strong evidence for ejection vs capture.

In summary, the conversation discusses the common assumption in mainstream astronomy that interacting extra-galactic objects are either being captured or colliding with each other, without considering the possibility that the larger object ejected the smaller. The conversation also mentions a search for nearby spirals with well-associated companions in order to test this hypothesis, as well as the discovery of a companion connected to M83 through HI imaging. Additional evidence for ejection is provided through HST and Chandra imagery of the nucleus of M83. The conversation concludes with a question about the name and redshift of the ejected companion.
turbo
Gold Member
Strong evidence for galactic ejection vs capture in interactions.

As I mentioned in another thread (relative to PG 1012+008), it is common for mainstream astronomers to treat apparently interacting extra-galactic objects as though they are either being captured or are colliding with one another. The possibility that the larger object ejected the smaller is rarely touched on, except by Arp and others that are looking for definitive interactions of objects that are discordantly redshifted.

I have been looking in atlases and catalogs for nearby spirals with well-associated companions, jotting down their redshifts, etc, in an attempt to see if (as Arp suggests) companion galaxies are preferentially redshifted with regard to their hosts, and to find examples of companions that are apparently interacting and NOT chance projections.

While searching for surveys or studies done in non-optical wavelengths, I found this great image of M83. There is a nearby companion that seems unrelated in the optical images, but is directly connected to M83 when imaged in HI. It is Figure 2.

http://www.nrao.edu/astrores/HIrogues/webGallery/RoguesGallery01.html

Here is an abstract of the article in which the above data were presented.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/n...&return_fmt=LONG&db_key=AST&nocookieset=1

To bolster the case for ejection of the companion, here is HST and Chandra imagery of the nucleus of M83 - a VERY busy place with asymmetrical distribution of mass.

http://www.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/~rs1/M83.html

And here is a paper describing the nucleus of M83. The authors characterise it as a double nucleus. The Chandra and HST imagery suggest to me that we might be looking at the beginning of another ejection event. In a hundred million years or so, we should know for sure. :smile:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=2000A&A...364L..47T

Now, a question. Does anybody know the name of the apparently ejected companion of M83? It's a silly thing, but I can't seem to find mention of it in relation to M83, and although I found the abstract to the Park et al paper(Full-Coverage K and HI Mosaic Images of NGC 253 and M83), I can't seem to find a full text version of it. I would love to know what the measured redshift of the companion is, though. It is by now quite far away from M83, but if Arp is right, it should still have some excess redshift relative to M83.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Anyways, I think that M83 and its companion provide a great example of a probable ejection event. It's just too bad that the companion doesn't seem to have a name!

1. What is the difference between ejection and capture in scientific terms?

Ejection refers to the process by which an object is forcefully removed from a system, such as a planet being ejected from a solar system. Capture, on the other hand, refers to an object being gravitationally pulled into a system, such as a comet being captured by a planet's orbit.

2. How can scientists determine if a celestial object was ejected or captured?

Scientists can use various methods to determine whether a celestial object was ejected or captured. These include studying the object's trajectory, composition, and orbital characteristics. They can also analyze the surrounding environment and look for evidence of interactions with other objects.

3. What are some examples of strong evidence for ejection versus capture?

One example of strong evidence for ejection is the presence of an object with an unusual trajectory or orbit that cannot be explained by gravitational interactions with other objects. Evidence for capture can include an object's similar composition to other objects in the system or the presence of gravitational interactions with other objects.

4. Can an object be both ejected and captured?

Yes, it is possible for an object to be both ejected and captured. For example, a planet may have captured a moon from another system while also ejecting some of its own moons due to gravitational interactions.

5. How does understanding ejection and capture help us understand the formation of celestial systems?

Studying ejection and capture processes can give us insights into the formation and evolution of celestial systems. It can help us understand the dynamics of how objects interact and move within a system, as well as the history of the system and its potential interactions with other systems.

Back