Strong psychiatrist's defense of own conclusion that ABB is judicially insane

• News
  • Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary: On appeal, the Appellate Court reversed the judgment and remanded for a new trial on the ground that Connelly had not been insane at the time of the offense. The Appellate Court stated: "It would be unrealistic to expect the average person with a mental illness to rationally understand the concepts of right and wrong."Yes, and what's even more amazing is that some idiots will actually reject a successful acquittal under an insanity defence:In State v. Connelly, 700 A.2d 694 (Conn. App. Ct. 1997) the petitioner had originally been found not guilty...by reason of insanity on the ground of severe mental illness
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Strong psychiatrist's defense of own conclusion that ABB is"judicially insane"

While I personally do NOT share forensic psycjiatrist Torgeir Husby's contested conclusion that ABB was "judicially insane", his explanation on Thursday of his views showed that he had solid reasons (degree "solid" that can be epected in the psychiatry field) for his conclusions.
His main points were:
a) The mother's testimony, that ABBs personality deteriorated/changed severely from his re-moving into his childhood home from 2006, and
b) That it to Husby (and to his colleague Sørheim) was, in their convewrsations with Breivik, that he figured himself in an extreme degree to be The Great Saviour, i.e, thar Breivik thought himself had some "holy duty" to perform through his massacres.

Furthermore, Husby was clear that he certainly was not the ignoramus of political extremism he has been ridiculed as, but that it seemed to him that Breivik's political extremism was less of a determinant of his actions than Breiviks grossly inflated, and reality-absent self-image and sadistic inclinations.The "jury is still out" whether ABB is to be declared sane or insane, but, at least, Husby has shown himself as a professional, and I do no longer entertain the speculation that he was prompted to his conclusion concerning ABBs judicial sanity on basis of maximizing the probability that ABB could be held incarcerated for life by getting him declared insane.

Husby is an honest hard-working psychiatrist, and his assessment of ABB cannot be dismissed easily,

Physics news on Phys.org

Judicially insane may not be the same as clinically insane but is a distinct classification from the other depending upon the law of a country. There definitely is some overlap from clinical to judical. Moment of passion defense, where one loses all control, would fall into the judically insane category, but that has been ruled out even by Brevik himself.

It would appear that he has some kind of phychosis and they are having trouble pinpointing what it actually is that caused him to have delusions of grandeur and saviour, and subsequentially perform his 'great' deed ( no one as far as I know has come to his defence that what he did was necessary or or for legitamate reasons )

Husby has shown himself as a professional, and I do no longer entertain the speculation that he was prompted to his conclusion concerning ABBs judicial sanity on basis of maximizing the probability that ABB could be held incarcerated for life by getting him declared insane.
Experts are to give an unbiased impartial opinion, to the best of their knowledge, in court. A conclusion based on prompting from the prosecution would necessarily be a reason for a mistrial if the defense would so wish. For that reason prosecution and defence seek out an expert(s) that will support their own agenda.

Arildno, do you have a definition of "judicially insane" you can post. I get the feeling it is less stringent than the US's "legally insane".

zoobyshoe said:
Arildno, do you have a definition of "judicially insane" you can post. I get the feeling it is less stringent than the US's "legally insane".

I think what you are alluding to is "cognative insanity" whereby one, due to a defect, does not know the nature of the act. This is the usual defense in terms of a plea of insanity. This is what they are debating for Brevik.

Another, which I stated as a crime of passion, is used less often and not accepted in all jurisdictions. Here one loses self contol at the time of the act.

256bits said:
I think what you are alluding to is "cognative insanity" whereby one, due to a defect, does not know the nature of the act. This is the usual defense in terms of a plea of insanity. This is what they are debating for Brevik.

Another, which I stated as a crime of passion, is used less often and not accepted in all jurisdictions. Here one loses self contol at the time of the act.
You're right about "cognitive insanity". "Crime of passion" doesn't seem to be the legal term you want though. Here they call it "irresistible impulse":

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Insanity+Defense

At any rate, my sense of things is that it is actually extremely difficult and rare in the US to succeed with an insanity defense. A lot of people with proven diagnoses of extreme mental illnesses are still judged to understand the concepts of right and wrong.

A bit OT:

zoobyshoe said:
At any rate, my sense of things is that it is actually extremely difficult and rare in the US to succeed with an insanity defense. A lot of people with proven diagnoses of extreme mental illnesses are still judged to understand the concepts of right and wrong.

Yes, and what's even more amazing is that some idiots will actually reject a successful acquittal under an insanity defence:

In State v. Connelly, 700 A.2d 694 (Conn. App. Ct. 1997) the petitioner had originally been found not guilty by reason of insanity of kidnapping and assault and was committed to the jurisdiction of the Psychiatric Security Review Board for a period of 10 years. Mr. Connelly filed a pro se writ of habeas corpus to vacate his insanity acquittal, arguing that he was not aware of his right to a trial without the use of an insanity defense. His insanity acquittal was vacated, and he was granted a new trial, at which he was found guilty of the same charges and was sentenced to 40 years of incarceration.

10 years psych review vs 40 years hard time. The fact that this imbecile took the chance alone would've qualified him to be labelled insane, IMO. :rofl:

Curious3141 said:
The fact that this imbecile took the chance alone would've qualified him to be labelled insane, IMO. :rofl:
Maybe there should be a profound stupidity defense.

zoobyshoe said:
Maybe there should be a profound stupidity defense.

Clearly, we can't, since that would mean over 90% of violent criminals would go scot free.

Curious3141 said:
Clearly, we can't, since that would mean over 90% of violent criminals would go scot free.

Nah, they wouldn't be set free. You'd have to sequester them for sure.

1. What is the role of a strong psychiatrist in defending their conclusion that ABB is judicially insane?

The role of a strong psychiatrist in this situation is to use their expertise and knowledge to provide evidence and arguments in support of their conclusion that the individual in question is judicially insane. This may involve conducting thorough evaluations and assessments, reviewing medical records and history, and presenting their findings to the court.

2. How is "judicial insanity" defined and determined in the legal system?

Judicial insanity, also known as legal insanity, is a legal term used to describe an individual's mental state at the time a crime was committed. It is determined by the court based on the testimony and evidence presented by mental health professionals, as well as other factors such as the individual's ability to understand the consequences of their actions and their level of control over their behavior.

3. What factors are considered by a strong psychiatrist when making a determination of judicial insanity?

A strong psychiatrist will consider a variety of factors when making a determination of judicial insanity. These may include the individual's mental health history, any relevant medical conditions, their level of understanding and control at the time the crime was committed, and any other factors that may have influenced their behavior.

4. Can a strong psychiatrist's conclusion of judicial insanity be challenged or overturned?

Yes, a strong psychiatrist's conclusion of judicial insanity can be challenged or overturned by other mental health professionals or by the court. It is important for the psychiatrist to provide thorough and well-supported evidence to defend their conclusion and withstand any challenges.

5. What happens if a strong psychiatrist's defense of judicial insanity is successful?

If a strong psychiatrist's defense of judicial insanity is successful, the individual may be found not guilty by reason of insanity and may be ordered to undergo treatment in a psychiatric facility. They may also be placed under the supervision of the court and may have certain restrictions placed on their actions and behavior.

Back