Preparing for a Survival Situation: Essential Gear

• Thread starter hitssquad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear
In summary, the conversation is about a series of pictures showing a bear chewing on a wooden birdfeeder. The participants discuss the reason for the bear's actions, with some speculating that it wants to pick its teeth. Others comment on the cleverness of the bear and suggest leaving floss or mouthwash for it.
hitssquad
http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showthread.php?t=158958

Physics news on Phys.org
Link is not much use if you're not a member of that board.

Sorry. The pictures look like this:

Bear-1.jpg

Bear-3.jpg

Bear-4.jpg

Bear-5.jpg

Wow, I didn't even know bears ate wood! :biggrin:

They don't. He wants to chew it into splinters so he can pick his teeth.

Great pics hitssquad, what a cleaver bear.

Good to know. If I'm ever in bear country, I'll be sure not to stay in a log cabin or wooden birdfeeder. Or maybe I'll just leave some floss outside. I wonder whether bears prefer mint or cinnamon. They could probably use some mouthwash too to get rid of that fish and carrion breath. :yuck:

1. What are the most essential gear items for a survival situation?

In a survival situation, the most essential gear items are those that can help you meet your basic needs: shelter, water, food, and protection. These include a tent or tarp for shelter, a water filtration system, a fire starter, a multi-tool or knife, and a first aid kit.

2. How much gear should I bring with me for a survival situation?

The amount of gear you bring with you will depend on the duration of the survival situation as well as the climate and terrain of the environment. It is important to pack light, but also make sure you have enough supplies to meet your basic needs. A good rule of thumb is to prioritize the most essential gear items and avoid bringing unnecessary items that will weigh you down.

3. What type of clothing should I pack for a survival situation?

The type of clothing you pack will depend on the climate and terrain of the environment you will be in. In general, it is important to bring clothing that is versatile, durable, and can protect you from the elements. This may include layers for warmth, rain gear, and sturdy boots for hiking. It is also important to pack extra socks and underwear to keep yourself clean and dry.

4. Can I rely solely on technology for survival gear?

While technology can certainly be helpful in a survival situation, it is not always reliable. In a remote or wilderness environment, there may not be access to electricity or a stable internet connection. It is important to have a backup plan and bring gear that does not rely on technology, such as a map and compass for navigation.

5. How often should I check and update my survival gear?

It is important to regularly check and update your survival gear, especially if you plan on using it for a future trip. Check for any damages or expired items and replace them as needed. It is also a good idea to practice using your gear in a controlled setting to ensure you know how to use it effectively in a real survival situation.