Is Nevlar, a New Polymer Design, Stronger than Kevlar?

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
In summary, the discussion is about whether Nevlar, a polymer designed by the speaker, is stronger than Kevlar. The speaker believes that the orientations of the bonds in Nevlar are not as optimal as in Kevlar, but they welcome suggestions for molecular modeling software to improve their understanding of the molecular structure.
bomba923
(This is part two of my "Stronger than Kevlar?" queries :) )

Is Nevlar* stronger than Kevlar?
(*A polymer I designed)

Attachments

• Kevlar.GIF
    Kevlar.GIF
    2 KB · Views: 514
  • Nevlar3.GIF
    Nevlar3.GIF
    2.5 KB · Views: 515
  • Nevlar.GIF
    Nevlar.GIF
    21.4 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't think it will be stronger, the orientations of the bonds (and what i would expect bond orbital overlaps to be like by mental picture) doesn't look nearly as optimum as in kevlar. But what do i know...:uhh:

Well, the bonds in my third image aren't exactly "drawn to scale" (so a mental picture might look different...). If you can suggest any molecular modeling freeware, I can post a much better image--

3trQN said:
orientations of the bonds ... doesn't look nearly as optimum as in kevlar
Why so?

Last edited:

What is Kevlar and why is it strong?

Kevlar is a synthetic fiber known for its high strength and durability. It is made of long chains of molecules that are tightly packed together, giving it a high tensile strength and making it resistant to breaking or tearing.

How does "stronger than Kevlar" differ from Kevlar?

"Stronger than Kevlar" refers to a material or substance that has a higher tensile strength and is more resistant to breaking or tearing than Kevlar. This could be due to its molecular structure, composition, or manufacturing process.

What makes a material stronger than Kevlar?

A material can be stronger than Kevlar if it has a higher tensile strength or is more resistant to breaking or tearing. This can be achieved through various methods such as using a different molecular structure, adding reinforcing materials, or improving the manufacturing process.

What are the potential applications for a material stronger than Kevlar?

A material that is stronger than Kevlar could have a wide range of applications in industries such as aerospace, defense, and sports. It could be used for making stronger and more durable clothing, ropes, tires, and even bulletproof vests.

Are there any materials that are currently known to be stronger than Kevlar?

Yes, there are materials that are known to be stronger than Kevlar. These include carbon nanotubes, graphene, and ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE). However, the development and testing of new materials is an ongoing process, so there may be other materials that are currently being researched and have the potential to be even stronger than Kevlar.