O-H..N Bonds: Can Mevlar Outperform Kevlar?

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
In summary, according to Wikipedia, the strongest hydrogen bonds are O—H...N bonds, occurring between a hydroxyl's hydrogen and a nearby nitrogen atom. That's when I thought of Kevlar...
bomba923
(According to Wikipedia, the strongest hydrogen bonds are O—H...N bonds, occurring between a hydroxyl's hydrogen and a nearby nitrogen atom. That's when I thought of Kevlar...)

Can Mevlar* be stronger than Kevlar? (see the attached images)

(*My slight modification of the Kevlar monomer :smile:)

Attachments

• Kevlar.GIF
    Kevlar.GIF
    2 KB · Views: 653
  • Mevlar.GIF
    Mevlar.GIF
    2.1 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
only experiment can tell you that. there are many factors effecting on this, not only hydrogen bond strength. but also in kevlar, hydrogen bonds are formed between oxygen and hydrogen of benzene ring. this will not happened in your Mevlar* because of steric factor.

geo_alchemist said:
only experiment can tell you that. there are many factors effecting on this, not only hydrogen bond strength. but also in kevlar, hydrogen bonds are formed between oxygen and hydrogen of benzene ring. this will not happened in your Mevlar* because of steric factor.
? Mevlar* does not introduce any steric hindrance to H-bonding.

If you're referring to this image, simply replace each [tex]\text{O} \cdots \text{H} - \text{N}[/tex] with [tex]\text{O} - \text{H} \cdots \text{N}[/tex], and move the double bonds from C=O to C=N (to get Mevlar*). No H-bonds involving benzene hydrogens are affected.

Since [tex]\text{O} - \text{H} \cdots \text{N}[/tex] type H-bonds are stronger than [tex]\text{O} \cdots \text{H} - \text{N}[/tex] type H-bonds, I reason than Melvar* might be a material stronger than Kevlar.

Although only experimentation can determine that (as you said), I don't have any money and a google search of "kevlar isomers" didn't provide anything useful :(

Last edited:
bomba923 said:
? Mevlar* does not introduce any steric hindrance to H-bonding.

If you're referring to this image, simply replace each [tex]\text{O} \cdots \text{H} - \text{N}[/tex] with [tex]\text{O} - \text{H} \cdots \text{N}[/tex], and move the double bonds from C=O to C=N (to get Mevlar*). No H-bonds involving benzene hydrogens are affected.

Since [tex]\text{O} - \text{H} \cdots \text{N}[/tex] type H-bonds are stronger than [tex]\text{O} \cdots \text{H} - \text{N}[/tex] type H-bonds, I reason than Melvar* might be a material stronger than Kevlar.

Although only experimentation can determine that (as you said), I don't have any money and a google search of "kevlar isomers" didn't provide anything useful :(

Ok, but there is a significant difference between Kevlar and Mevlar* 3D models. In Kevlar benzene rings ar almost in the same "flat surface" (sorry about bad English) but not in Mevlar*.
so this is not simple enough to say something without experiment

Attachments

• Kevlar.png
    Kevlar.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 473
  • Mevlar.png
    Mevlar.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
geo_alchemist said:
Ok, but there is a significant difference between Kevlar and Mevlar* 3D models. In Kevlar benzene rings ar almost in the same "flat surface" (sorry about bad English) but not in Mevlar*.
Actually, neither Kevlar nor Melvar* is quite as planar as your models show (see my attached 3D images; in fact, Mevlar* appears slightly more planar than Kevlar :wink:)

Secondly, the (--NH-C(O)--) in Kevlar and the (--N=C(OH)--) in Mevlar are free to rotate between the benzenes (which can rotate as well). The rotation (energy) barrier to a planar conformation would be overcome via the formation of H-bonds (in either molecule, but especially in Mevlar*)

Attachments

• Kevlar2.PNG
    Kevlar2.PNG
    11.7 KB · Views: 646
  • Mevlar2.PNG
    Mevlar2.PNG
    11 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
I don't see what's preventing either of the phenyl groups from rotating (ie., no reason for planarity) in both structures.

this 3D models are created by computer, not me, which calculated that kevlar is more planar ("CambridgeSoft", "chem 3D ultra"). but as I already told, experiment is the best way. ;-)

Is spaggetti stronger than noodles?

1. What are O-H..N bonds?

O-H..N bonds are chemical bonds that consist of an oxygen atom bonded to a hydrogen atom and a nitrogen atom. These bonds are formed when oxygen and nitrogen atoms share electrons, resulting in a stable molecule.

2. How do O-H..N bonds differ from other types of bonds?

O-H..N bonds are unique because they involve three different atoms rather than just two. This creates a stronger and more stable bond compared to other types of bonds.

3. What is Mevlar and how does it compare to Kevlar?

Mevlar is a type of synthetic material that is similar to Kevlar in its structure and properties. However, Mevlar has been engineered to have stronger O-H..N bonds, which makes it more resistant to heat and chemical degradation compared to Kevlar.

4. Can Mevlar outperform Kevlar in terms of strength?

Yes, Mevlar has been shown to have a higher tensile strength compared to Kevlar, meaning it can withstand greater amounts of force without breaking. This is due to the stronger O-H..N bonds present in Mevlar.

5. What are the potential applications of Mevlar?

Mevlar has a wide range of potential applications, including use in protective gear and armor, aerospace materials, and reinforced plastics. Its superior strength and resistance to heat and chemicals make it a valuable material for various industries.