Strongest transparent material

In summary, the expert is looking for a material that is transparent, strong, durable, and foldable. She is also looking for a material that is affordable and dead weight is not a factor.
ceo_oceano
Hello,

I am a cycle enthusiast looking to create a shield for my bike in the form of a rain drop which is known to be the most aerodynamic shape.

I am looking for a material that is TRANSPARENT (clear, one way mirror finish, or black), STRONG, DURABLE, FOLDABLE, EASY TO MOLD & SHAPE.

The reason for this creation of mine is to shield me from the rain, hail and sun, but to also make it aerodynamic enough to minimize the backdraft to make my ride a lot smoother.

Attached to this email are 2 different examples of what I am looking to go for. My idea would be a bit more complex and useful. Would like to start off with finalizing the material to then move on to the next step of creating this idea of mine.

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Aerowing.jpg
    Aerowing.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 534
  • Aerowing2.jpg
    Aerowing2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 507
Engineering news on Phys.org
well at first glance upon the title i was going to say diamond but it looks like that doesn't qualify
you'd likely be best off making a rigid frame and coating it in thickish (~1 cm) clear plastic

The dead weight of a shell is a factor. Cost is another.
You want durable and foldable, that sounds like a sheet of material over a collapsible light frame, just like the second illustration.
You show some well formed examples but say your design will be 'more useful'. In what way?

You might discover that a rain-splattered shield is too difficult to see through, like a car windscreen without the wiper.

If you have a problem with rain then you can fix it with a surface treatment. Known as Rain-x, it coats the surface with a water repellent layer of silicon polymer. You do not need windscreen wipers as the water beads and falls or is blown off.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain-X

What is the strongest transparent material?

The strongest transparent material is graphene. It is a form of carbon that is only one atom thick and has a tensile strength of 130 GPa, making it 200 times stronger than steel.

What makes graphene the strongest transparent material?

Graphene's strength comes from its unique atomic structure, which allows it to distribute stress evenly and resist deformation. It also has a high surface area, making it resistant to cracks and breaks.

Can other materials be stronger than graphene?

Currently, graphene is considered to be the strongest transparent material. However, researchers are constantly exploring and developing new materials that could potentially surpass graphene's strength in the future.

What are the practical applications of the strongest transparent material?

Graphene's strength and transparency make it useful for a variety of applications, including touchscreens, solar cells, flexible electronics, and even bulletproof vests.

Is graphene the only transparent material with high strength?

No, there are other materials that possess high strength and transparency, such as diamond and sapphire. However, graphene is currently the strongest and most widely studied transparent material.