1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Structural Analysis Problem

1. Aug 25, 2011 #1
    cme205homework.jpg

to figure out the Ay and Ma reactions, i tried to find the effect of the 9kn/m force. i did this by integrating:

integral from 0 to 8: 9x

i found this to be 288kn

for the moment caused by the 9kn/m force:

integral from 0 to 8: 9(x^2)

i found this to be 1,535kn*m clockwise

i then added this to the moment about A caused by the 100kn force in the positive x direction:

(100kn)(12m) + 1,536kn * m= 2,736 kn*m

so my answer for the first part would be:

reactions:

Ax= -100kn
    Ay= 288kn (in positive y direction)
    Ma= 2,736 kn * m counterclockwise.

am i correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2011 #2
    no one?

4. Aug 25, 2011 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you need to look at the distributed load more carefully.

The equivalent force is 9 * 8 / 2 = 36 kN, not 288 kN

Similarly, the moment of this load appears to be wrong.

5. Aug 25, 2011 #4
    right, its 36kn directly inline with A, but wouldnt the distributed load have an effect on Ay as well?

also, since its a distributed load, wouldnt i have to find the moment caused by it through integration?

6. Aug 26, 2011 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can, but your integration set up is flawed. The distributed load from B to C can be replaced by a force and a couple acting at B. Similarly, the 100 kN load at C can be shifted to B without changing the reactions at A.

7. Aug 26, 2011 #6
    Why would the vertical distributed load cause a horizontal reaction at A? When you integrate let x=0 at C and x=8 at B. It's easier that way.

8. Jan 18, 2012 #7
    Seems like you are complicating the problem by bringing integration into the picture.
    Firstly you can can find the resultant of the distributed load by doing as follow:
    Resultant:0.5*9*8=36kN(basically the area of the distributed load i e a triangle in this case)

Now to find the location where this resultant acts, you simply need to find the centroid of the triangle from side that is denoted by 9kN. it's given by h/3 i.e 8/3=2.67m from the left.
    now use the equilibrium equation of statics
    ƩFy=0
    Ay-36=0 ie Ay=36kN
    ƩFx=0
    Ax+100=0 ie Ax=-100kN(the negative sign indicated the reaction is towards the left and not towards the right if u had imagined it to be so)
    ƩMA=0(moment about A)
    M+36*2.67+100(12)=0 ie M=-1296.12kN-m(negative sign indicates a anti clockwise moment ,which makes intuitive sense since clockwise moments give a anti clockwise reaction at the support A)
    Hence u got all the reactions .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook