How many stereoisomers of C4H8Br2 have structural isomers?

In summary, there are 9 structural isomers of C4H8Br2, including 4 with stereocenters. The isomers are: 1,1-dibromobutane, 1,2-dibromobutane, 1,3-dibromobutane, 1,4-dibromobutane, 2,2-dibromobutane, 2,3-dibromobutane, 1,1-dibromo-2-methylpropane, 1,2-dibromo-2-methylpropane, and 1,3-dibromo-2-methylpropane. The number of stereocenters varies
Snazzy

Homework Statement

Name the structural isomers of C4H8Br2 and remember to number the carbon atoms such that you minimize the numbers in the name.

How many stuctural isomers of C4H8Br2 are there?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how many there should be. So far I've found 9:
1,1-dibromobutane
1,2-dibromobutane
1,3-dibromobutane
1,4-dibromobutane
2,2-dibromobutane
2,3-dibromobutane
1,1-dibromo-2-methylpropane
1,2-dibromo-2-methylpropane
1,3-dibromo-2-methylpropaneAre there anymore that I'm missing? I can't seem to find them.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget chirality.

I don't think chirality will affect the actual formula name anymore since I've taken care of all chiral forms by putting the Br atoms attached to different carbons.

Oh, you're right. Structural isormers, not stereoisomers.

In that case, I think you've got them all.

How many stereocentres are there?

0 correct?

ChemIsHard said:
How many stereocentres are there?

0 correct?

No, I see at least two from the list given.

1,3-dibromo-2-methylpropane

Being the two? The stereocentre is on the first carbon in both cases right?

Sorry for the numerous questions, I'm just a little confused!

Make a model and try to superimpose 'em.

I found four to have stereocentres:
1,2-dibromobutane
1,3-dibromobutane
2,3-dibromobutane

Can anyone confirm this?

1. What are structural isomers of C4H8Br2?

Structural isomers of C4H8Br2 are molecules with the same molecular formula (C4H8Br2) but different structural arrangements of their atoms. This means that they have the same number of atoms of each element (carbon, hydrogen, and bromine) but the atoms are bonded in different ways.

2. How many structural isomers can be made with the molecular formula C4H8Br2?

There are four possible structural isomers for C4H8Br2. These include 1,1-dibromobutane, 1,2-dibromobutane, 2,2-dibromobutane, and 1,3-dibromobutane.

3. What is the difference between constitutional isomers and structural isomers?

Constitutional isomers and structural isomers are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. Structural isomers have the same molecular formula but different structural arrangements, while constitutional isomers have the same molecular formula and the same connectivity of atoms, but differ in the arrangement of functional groups.

4. How can structural isomers of C4H8Br2 be identified?

Structural isomers of C4H8Br2 can be identified using techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy and infrared (IR) spectroscopy. These methods can help determine the connectivity and arrangement of atoms in a molecule, allowing for the identification of different structural isomers.

5. What are the properties of structural isomers of C4H8Br2?

The properties of structural isomers of C4H8Br2 can vary depending on their structural arrangement. However, in general, they will have similar physical properties such as melting and boiling points, solubility, and density. However, they may have different chemical properties, such as reactivity and stability, due to the differences in their functional group arrangement.