Structural steel evaluation

In summary, the man is looking for a structural engineer to do the calculations after the fact to make sure the trailer can withstand the load it will be carrying. The cost of this is about $10-15K. He says that all the stress is taken away when the trailer is re-arch/I-beam straped back to its original state.
Rodeodad
I have a removable gooseneck semi-trailer (RGN)
I am going to stiffen it to hold a higher capacity.
30 ton to 45 ton.
This hauls large equipment. (yellow iron)
I know from experience what to use and how to do it.
Is there some one here that can do the calculations and make a drawing of the structure to determine the approximate load capacity?
Both over all and concentrated capacities.
This is a paid proposition with required results.
Not like the guy I paid $1500 to for a PCB prototype and has never been heard of or seen again.
If he blew himself up with a bomb in Afghanistan then I will forgive him.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rodeodad said:
I have a removable gooseneck semi-trailer (RGN)
I am going to stiffen it to hold a higher capacity.
30 ton to 45 ton.
This hauls large equipment. (yellow iron)
I know from experience what to use and how to do it.
Is there some one here that can do the calculations and make a drawing of the structure to determine the approximate load capacity?
Both over all and concentrated capacities.
This is a paid proposition with required results.
Not like the guy I paid $1500 to for a PCB prototype and has never been heard of or seen again.
If he blew himself up with a bomb in Afghanistan then I will forgive him.
With the economy in the shape that it is in, you might be better-served by searching for used trailers. A neighbor of mine used to be pretty busy at times moving wood-harvesting/construction equipment with his low-bed, but there is little call for that in north/central Maine these days so he keeps things going with his old wheeler with headboard loader ferrying loads of pulp and firewood. Good luck whichever way you go, but if you have the business, it might be a great time to buy a heavier trailer and put your current one up for sale. A contractor or big landscaper might want your current trailer just the way it is.

Used trailers in this range are about $35-40K in fair shape without a flip axle.
Flip axles are about $5-10K.
I would never get more than $10 maybe $15 on mine.
This will cost about $10-15K to up-fit with a flip axle.
About half of trying to sell mine and buy a used one.
And it is not all stressed out this way.
It will have new steel.
A re-arch/I-beam strap is about $2.5K to 4K.
All that does is put it back to about original.

Looking for structural steel engineer to do the calculations after the fact to satisfy all of those who don't actually do this stuff but think they are smarter than those who do.
We all have our own niche.

1. What is structural steel evaluation?

Structural steel evaluation is the process of assessing the condition, strength, and safety of steel structures, such as buildings, bridges, and towers. This evaluation is typically done by trained engineers and involves visual inspections, non-destructive testing, and analysis of design documents.

2. Why is structural steel evaluation important?

Structural steel evaluation is important for ensuring the safety and reliability of steel structures. It helps identify potential weaknesses, defects, or damage that could compromise the structural integrity of a building or infrastructure. Regular evaluations also help to prevent structural failures and costly repairs.

3. What methods are used for structural steel evaluation?

There are several methods used for structural steel evaluation, including visual inspections, ultrasonic testing, magnetic particle testing, and radiographic testing. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the appropriate method will depend on the type of structure, location, and accessibility.

4. How often should structural steel be evaluated?

The frequency of structural steel evaluation will depend on several factors, such as the age of the structure, its usage, and exposure to environmental factors. Generally, it is recommended to have a comprehensive evaluation every 5-10 years, with more frequent inspections for high-risk structures or those in harsh environments.

5. Can structural steel evaluation detect all potential issues?

No, structural steel evaluation cannot detect all potential issues. Some problems, such as hidden corrosion or fatigue cracking, may not be visible or detectable through non-destructive testing methods. However, regular evaluations can significantly reduce the risk of structural failures and identify any visible or easily detectable issues that may require repairs or further investigation.