Structure constant calculation

In summary, the problem asks you to reparametrize the rotation group using new infinitesimal parameters and then calculate the structure constants for these parameters. These structure constants relate the non-Cartesian parameters to the original Cartesian parameters. To find them, you can use the given transformation equation and equate the coefficients of the non-Cartesian parameters on both sides. This will allow you to solve for the structure constants.
turin
Homework Helper
I'm putting this question here because I can't get any help from the HW forum (It's actually not a HW, but it looks a lot like a HW, so I won't be surprised if it gets moved there).

Source: Anderson, Principles of Relativity Physics

p. 13, prob. 1.4

"Reparametrize the rotation group by taking, as new infinitesimal parameters, ε1 = ε23, ε2 = ε31, and ε3 = ε12 and calculate the structure constants for these parameters."

My assumptions:

(1)
The εij mentioned in the problem are the infinitesimal Cartesian parameters of the 3-D rotation group such that εij = -εji, and yi = xi + Σjεijxj, where x is the original point and y is the transformed point.

(2)
To generalize this to non-Cartesian coordinates and still maintain the Lie group-ness, the transformation takes the general form:

yi = xi + Σkεkfki(x)

where the fki(x) satisfy the following condition.

(3)
The request for structure constants is a request for constants ckmn such that:

yi = xi + ΣkΣmΣnBmεAn - εAmεBn)ckmnfki(x)

(4)
The parameters εk are the non-Cartesian parameters, and so, they should multiply some functions fki(x), and these functions determine the structure constants.

My problem with understanding:

I don't know how to find the fki(x). I have:

Σjεijxj = Σkεkfki(x)

but I don't see how this tells me fki(x). Am I supposed to assume some kind of orthogonality or something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for reaching out for help with this problem. I can understand your confusion, as it seems like you have a good understanding of the problem and its assumptions. However, I believe you may be overthinking it a bit. Let me try to break it down for you.

First, let's start with the given transformation:

yi = xi + Σkεkfki(x)

This is a general transformation in non-Cartesian coordinates, as you correctly pointed out. The fki(x) functions are the components of the transformation, and they satisfy the condition that Σkεkfki(x) is a linear transformation. This means that the fki(x) functions can be written as linear combinations of the non-Cartesian parameters εk. For example, f12(x) = aε1 + bε2 + cε3.

Now, let's look at the requested structure constants:

yi = xi + ΣkΣmΣn(εBmεAn - εAmεBn)ckmnfki(x)

These constants, ckmn, are just coefficients that relate the non-Cartesian parameters εk to the Cartesian parameters εij. In other words, they tell us how the non-Cartesian parameters are related to the original Cartesian parameters. To find these constants, we can use the given transformation and equate the coefficients of the non-Cartesian parameters on both sides. For example, equating the coefficients of ε12 on both sides, we get:

ε12 = ε1f12(x) + ε2f21(x) + ε3f31(x)

Using the general form of the fki(x) functions, we can substitute in and solve for c1212. This process can be repeated for all the other structure constants.

I hope this helps to clarify the problem for you. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any additional help. Good luck!

Thank you for providing the context for your question. From my understanding, the problem is asking you to reparametrize the rotation group using the new infinitesimal parameters given, and then calculate the structure constants for these new parameters.

To clarify, the εij mentioned in the problem are not the original Cartesian parameters, but rather the new ones that are given as ε1 = ε23, ε2 = ε31, and ε3 = ε12. These new parameters correspond to rotations around the x, y, and z axes, respectively.

To find the structure constants, you can use the formula you mentioned in (3). However, the functions fki(x) are not determined by the given parameters, but rather they are arbitrary functions that satisfy the condition in (2). This means that there are infinite possibilities for the fki(x) functions, and there is no specific way to find them.

To solve the problem, you can simply use the given parameters to reparametrize the rotation group and then use the formula in (3) to calculate the structure constants. You do not need to find the fki(x) functions explicitly.

I hope this helps clarify the problem. If you are still unsure, I recommend reaching out to your professor or classmates for further assistance. Good luck!

1. How is the structure constant calculated?

The structure constant is calculated using the Feynman-Dyson formula, which involves the integration of the scattering amplitude over all possible intermediate states.

2. What is the significance of the structure constant in physics?

The structure constant is a fundamental constant in quantum field theory that describes the strength of the interaction between elementary particles, such as electrons and photons. It plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of these particles and their interactions.

3. How does the structure constant differ from other fundamental constants?

The structure constant is unique in that it is dimensionless, meaning it has no units. This makes it a pure number, unlike other fundamental constants such as the speed of light or Planck's constant, which have units.

4. Can the structure constant be experimentally measured?

Yes, the structure constant can be measured through experiments that involve high-energy particle collisions, such as those conducted at the Large Hadron Collider. These experiments can provide valuable data to refine and verify theoretical calculations of the structure constant.

5. How has the calculation of the structure constant evolved over time?

The calculation of the structure constant has evolved significantly since its introduction in the 1930s. Early calculations were based on approximations and simplifications, but with advancements in theoretical and computational techniques, more precise and accurate calculations have been made possible.