Structure constants of SU(N)

• Thread starter Lester
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi there,

Does anybody know how to exploit the product of structure constants of SU(N) through Kroenecker deltas? I mean

[tex]\sum_a f_{abc}f_{ade}[/tex]

I know this for SU(2) as in this case I have the Levi-Civita symbol but in other cases I was not able to recover it in literature. Any help appreciated.

Jon

Answers and Replies

samalkhaiat
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Hi there,

Does anybody know how to exploit the product of structure constants of SU(N) through Kroenecker deltas? I mean

[tex]\sum_a f_{abc}f_{ade}[/tex]

I know this for SU(2) as in this case I have the Levi-Civita symbol but in other cases I was not able to recover it in literature. Any help appreciated.

Jon
It is given in terms of the totally symmetric coefficients [itex]d_{abc}[/itex] which vanish in SU(2);

[tex]f_{abe}f_{cde} = \frac{2}{n} (\delta_{ac}\delta_{bd} - \delta_{ad}\delta_{bc}) + ( d_{ace}d_{bde} - d_{bce}d_{ade})[/tex]

Another useful identities are (Jacobi identities)

[tex]f_{abe}d_{ecd} + f_{cbe}d_{aed} + f_{dbe}d_{ace} = 0[/tex]

and the usual one for the structure constants [itex]f_{abc}[/itex]

regards

sam

Thanks a lot Sam. This was the formula I was looking for.

Jon

Dear Sam & Lester

Can you please tell me any book reference for these identities involving $d^{abc}$ in jacobi identity and the structure constants contraction.

Thanks in advance

Dear samalkhaiat

Your formula for jacobi identity is wrong. Actually it should have all d^{abc} instead of the f^{abc} everywhere. The correct Jacobi identity is:

[tex]d^{ace}d^{bde}+d^{ade}d^{bce}+d^{bae}d^{cde}=0[/tex]

Kindly provide me any references for contraction formula for structure constants of SU(N).

Thanks.