1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Structure design sim

1. Mar 18, 2012 #1
    I am building a little balsa wood model. I was hoping there was a program to help me test designs before I spend hours gluing sticks together.

I've used a 2d program for testing bridge designs, but i've never seen a 3d version. I'm hoping this question is cake walk for you guys.

Also, I prefer free :)

-Gits

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2012 #2
    You might be able to use the 2d anyway depending on what your structure is, and what the program your using allows. If you model is planar and those planes are orthogonal, there isn't really interaction in theory anyway... but if you're making a space frame or truss, then its probably got more complex things going on.

There are trial versions of some nice 3d structural design software, I know RISA 3d has a 30 day trial. I'm sure there are others, course they often have limits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook