Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Structure factor

1. Oct 14, 2015 #1
    The structure factor in solid state physics (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_factor) apparently gives information on the scattered ray from a lattice.

How exactly does it do that?

Does a structure factor of zero at certain points imply that rays cannot be scattered in those directions?

If I know the incident wave vector, how do I determine the allowable scattering directions? (Should this be done with the structure factor?)

I'm just confused about some general concepts, so a qualitative discussion would be nice. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Oct 24, 2015 #3
    The structure factor determines the amplitude of a Bragg diffracted ray, i.e. coherent and elastic scattering off the atoms of the crystal.
    A zero structure factor implies that the waves scattered by the different atoms interfere destructively such that this amplitude becomes zero, hence no intensity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook