Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Structure of an atom

1. May 21, 2008 #1
    How does quantum physics describe the structure of an atom? Is it possible to take a basic measurement an atom such as the number of proton/neutrons, and calculate the rest of the dimensions/ and properties of that particular atom?

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you define structure and dimensions?

4. May 22, 2008 #3
    Not only structure but the physical properties of elements as well... colors, boiling point, mass, etc. It seems mother nature knows how to calculate all this from basically, the number of nucleons, nucleon mass, and the physical laws of that govern the universe. I'm curious if physicists have determined the math for this fact, yet.

By structure, I was thinking a measurable distance/length of nucleus, electron "smears" / orbitals, etc.

Thanks.

5. May 22, 2008 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. Single atoms done have colour nor boiling point. Try to define the colour and boiling point of an atom ;-)

If you want to learn how atoms and ions biuld up SOLIDS and LIQIUDS which have those criteria, then it is Condensate matter physics you are dealing with. And that is a rigor physical science which is well understood.

2. Atoms nor nuclei have definite size. One can only measure r.m.s radius of the wave functions by performing scattering experiments by probing the atoms with electrons, muons, neutrons etc. This also something that is well understood.

Now what do you want to learn more about? What a scattering experiment is? Just tell us. Also tell us your background, have you done quantum mechanics in college / university yet?

6. May 22, 2008 #5
    Scattering experiments is probably a good start for what I'm interested in. Where's a good place to learn about this, as well as results from scattering experiments? My quantum physics knowledge is pretty much ground level, and I don't have a formal (physics) education. But I'm interested in learning more. Thanks.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  7. May 22, 2008 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?