Structure of an Atom: Quantum Physics & Basic Measurement

In summary: This is how you learn about structure and dimensions of an atom.Now tell us more about what you are looking for.
nuby
How does quantum physics describe the structure of an atom? Is it possible to take a basic measurement an atom such as the number of proton/neutrons, and calculate the rest of the dimensions/ and properties of that particular atom?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you define structure and dimensions?

Not only structure but the physical properties of elements as well... colors, boiling point, mass, etc. It seems mother nature knows how to calculate all this from basically, the number of nucleons, nucleon mass, and the physical laws of that govern the universe. I'm curious if physicists have determined the math for this fact, yet.

By structure, I was thinking a measurable distance/length of nucleus, electron "smears" / orbitals, etc.

Thanks.

1. Single atoms done have colour nor boiling point. Try to define the colour and boiling point of an atom ;-)

If you want to learn how atoms and ions biuld up SOLIDS and LIQIUDS which have those criteria, then it is Condensate matter physics you are dealing with. And that is a rigor physical science which is well understood.

2. Atoms nor nuclei have definite size. One can only measure r.m.s radius of the wave functions by performing scattering experiments by probing the atoms with electrons, muons, neutrons etc. This also something that is well understood.

Now what do you want to learn more about? What a scattering experiment is? Just tell us. Also tell us your background, have you done quantum mechanics in college / university yet?

Scattering experiments is probably a good start for what I'm interested in. Where's a good place to learn about this, as well as results from scattering experiments? My quantum physics knowledge is pretty much ground level, and I don't have a formal (physics) education. But I'm interested in learning more. Thanks.

Last edited:
Here are some good starting points:

http://www3.tsl.uu.se/thep/courses/QM/scattering-overview.pdf [Broken]

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qmech/lectures/node130.html

This is the theory, experiment, you have a source of matter waves (electrons, photons, neutrons) - let them hit a target and detect their reflection pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an atom and why is its structure important?

An atom is the basic unit of matter that makes up all elements. Its structure is important because it determines the properties and behavior of an element, such as its chemical reactivity and physical state.

2. How does quantum physics explain the structure of an atom?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains the structure of an atom by describing how electrons exist in discrete energy levels or orbitals around the nucleus.

3. What is the role of the nucleus in the structure of an atom?

The nucleus is the central part of an atom that contains protons and neutrons. It has a positive charge and is responsible for holding the atom together through the strong nuclear force. It also determines the atomic number and mass of an element.

4. How is the structure of an atom measured?

The structure of an atom is measured through various techniques, such as spectroscopy and electron microscopy. These methods involve using electromagnetic radiation or electron beams to interact with the atoms and produce measurable signals that reveal their structure.

5. What is the significance of the uncertainty principle in the measurement of atoms?

The uncertainty principle, a key principle of quantum physics, states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This means that there is a fundamental limit to our ability to measure the structure of an atom, as the act of measurement can disturb the atom's state.