Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Structure of solid CO2

1. Nov 17, 2005 #1
    If found a few places that suggest that CO2 1 has a face center cubic with 4 CO2 atoms in the unit cell. Does this sound right? I could also use some literature source that backs this up.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They wouldn't be CO2 atoms, but that was a deliberate mistake to check we were paying attention, right?! A few links I found on Google seem to back up what you've got (FCC), but not found anything conclusive so far.
  4. Nov 18, 2005 #3
    It seems strange that I cant find any good souces on something that sounds so simple. I should also add that what I am really looking for here is the bond lenghts or I guess the distances between atoms. the size of the unit cell (edge lenght or whatever its called). This can be at any temp and pressure as long as it is still with in the first solid phase of CO2. I guess I could also go with data from the other phases as well but I would like to start with CO2 (I) first. I am trying to represent a unit cell of CO2 in cartesian coordinates
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  5. Nov 18, 2005 #4
    No time to figure this out (am in a bit of a rush), but I remembered that this guy out in California did some work on this topic a while back and managed to find the citation via Google which may help:
    C.S. Yoo, et al (1999) Phys. Rev. Lett. 83 (26): 5527-5530.
    I would think a face-centered cubic structure would be OK as a first try, though. As I had to explain to one of my students a while back, you see the difference between the strength of weak chemical interactions versus covalent interactions when comparing carbon dioxide (dry ice) and silicon dioxide (quartz) quite clearly....
  6. Nov 19, 2005 #5
    Thanks, I found the paper and looks like it has everything I was looking for. It also has the experimental data for several other phases too which I would have needed at some point as well.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?