Exploring the Possibility of a Dense Oort Cloud in the Milky Way

In summary: Well, that's more a feature of the fact that...In summary, the oort cloud is a theoretical cloud of comets and asteroids that extends beyond the boundaries of our solar system. It's thought that if it had 2 light years in lenght, that's half way to Alpha Centauri. It's possible that we could Colonize some of the wild planets in the galaxy, but it would require a lot of energy to do so.
Constantin said:
The very core of our planet is solid, surrounded by a larger, molten region. So at extreme pressures you can get a solid core even with very high temperatures.

With that i agree with you...
-But this kind of event can hapopen to any kind of material even water...
Recent discoveries of theoretical ocean worlds or super Earth's that are almost 100% water, if they are big enaugh their core can get solid; ice7, right?
And what about the recently discovered Kepler-22b?
Studies show that it could be another ocean world...
I don't quite remember its theoretical size but could it have a rocky underwater surface or its all the way down to another ice7 core?
-And could it have small rocky islands?
-Could it be colonized?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Dark Universe said:
With that i agree with you...
-But this kind of event can hapopen to any kind of material even water...
Recent discoveries of theoretical ocean worlds or super Earth's that are almost 100% water, if they are big enaugh their core can get solid; ice7, right?
And what about the recently discovered Kepler-22b?
Studies show that it could be another ocean world...
I don't quite remember its theoretical size but could it have a rocky underwater surface or its all the way down to another ice7 core?
-And could it have small rocky islands?
-Could it be colonized?

Heeey... no answer to this?

Dark Universe said:
but Would't the rocky core get crushed under the mass of the atmosphere and become a liquid... Or diamonds if it has a significant amount of carbon?

No, puting a liquid under ridiculous amounts of pressure (with a few exceptions such as water and gallium) results in a solid, not the other way around.

Whovian said:
No, puting a liquid under ridiculous amounts of pressure (with a few exceptions such as water and gallium) results in a solid, not the other way around.

as far as I know, with water it's even believed that under sufficiently extreme pressures an exotic or exotic forms of ice can be formed.

Whovian said:

True. The molten core is a result of temperature, not pressure.
However, what you're saying about water or gallium is false. They will turn to solid just fine.

In regards to water turning to ice at high pressure, I've seen experiments with diamond anvil doing just that.

In which case I stand corrected.