Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Structure of the week

1. Jul 8, 2008 #1
    What do you think of the (almost ubiquitous?) structure of the week: 5 consecutive days of work and then two consecutive days of rest and then repeat? I think it is pretty good for promoting healthy lifestyles.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2008 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I like it. I would never want 2 separate days off. It wouldn't allow you to do a small getaway (trip) to anywhere. For those who enjoy camping in the summer, two separate days would ruin the summer.

The only problem I have is with only 2 weeks of paid vacation a year. I have no idea how people settle for that. I'm currently still a student so it's not a problem as of now, but after I'm done school, I am definitely considering moving to France. I met people there and they said you get minimum one month a year paid (sometimes you get a month and a week depending on the month).

Note: Some months occassionally have more business days than others.

4. Jul 8, 2008 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

They move on to better jobs where vacation is a negotiable part of the compensation package.

5. Jul 8, 2008 #4
    I like it ok, but I think we should have Sunday and Monday off instead of Saturday and Sunday. I hate going to work on Mondays.

6. Jul 8, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would love a nice normal work week like that. :biggrin:

7. Jul 8, 2008 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would prefer four 10-hour work days and three off. It would be nice having three days off, plus it would reduce commuting costs.

8. Jul 8, 2008 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, that would be better. I agree.

9. Jul 8, 2008 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I worked a 4,3 week for 2 years. A 9.5 hour day is hard on an aging mind & bod.

Routine is good. 5,2 is perfect.

10. Jul 8, 2008 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The reason Mondays are tough is that you get to sleep in on the weekend and shift your sleep rhythm just enough to make it hard to shift back to getting up early again at the start of every new week. I have a feeling it would be even more difficult starting that first day back to work after 3 day weekends (I already know it is when I have a 3 day weekend due to a Monday or Friday holiday). On the other hand, I wouldn't complain about 3 weeks work and 1 week off.

11. Jul 8, 2008 #10
    10 hours, 4 days a week with a 3 day weekend might be good for me, but it would be terrible for my boss. I get 8 hours work done in a day whether the day lasts 8 hours or 10.

12. Jul 8, 2008 #11

tmc

13. Jul 8, 2008 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

14. Jul 8, 2008 #13
    I think the state of Utah recently began doing that for a number of its government employees, if only to save on gas.

15. Jul 8, 2008 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

BTW, I opened this thread thinking there would be construction involved...

16. Jul 8, 2008 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Me too! I was thinking structure as in building, bridge, something like that. Structure of the week like Word of the day.

17. Jul 8, 2008 #16
    When I was considering going to the military the Sergeant that was going to recruit me (boy was he pissed when I ended up declining) told me that when you work on base you usually get 12 hours for 2 days and then 2 days off, rinse, repeat. I don't know how truthful he was being and whether or not that's for all jobs, but I wouldn't be able to do that I don't think. It's 2 days of your life gone vs. still being able to do something with those 4 hours.

18. Jul 8, 2008 #17

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I was expecting the Eiffel Tower or Taj Majal or Brooklyn Bridge or some similar structure.

19. Jul 8, 2008 #18
    Me too.

20. Jul 8, 2008 #19
    Or another one of those rotating buildings like the one in Dubai.

21. Jul 8, 2008 #20
    I know people who have 7 12 hour workdays followed by 7 days off.

I definitely prefer 5 days on 2 days off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?