Structure of the week

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
... :surprised What a surprise! I'm about two kilometers away from that bridge at this very moment...

Is it safe yet? Just kidding, the first time I saw this video was a loooong time ago in a college physics class. Are they still showing it?

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is it safe yet? Just kidding, the first time I saw this video was a loooong time ago in a college physics class. Are they still showing it?

I'm sure they still show it - it's a classic example of why resonance is such an important consideration for engineers.

The new Tacoma Narrows Bridge is actually two bridges now; the one they built to replace the wrecked one, and a new one that opened last year. People who commute over the bridges tell me their cars get blown around all the time, but at least the bridges are solid :smile: .

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

I watched that video a rather long time ago in high school physics too.

In college, there was a wooden suspension bridge on campus across a ravine that you could get going quite well if you jumped in the right spot...great for freaking out the art majors (it was really close to the part of campus with the art school). :biggrin:

I don't know why it took me so long to think of it, but I remember the first time I heard that the President would give his "State of the Union" speech. I thought it was some kind of contest.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't know why it took me so long to think of it, but I remember the first time I heard that the President would give his "State of the Union" speech. I thought it was some kind of contest.

:rofl: Took me a minute to get that...!