Structure of the Week: Is 5 Days Work & 2 Days Rest a Good Idea?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
In summary, the conversation revolves around the structure of the work week, with most participants agreeing that the traditional 5 days on, 2 days off system is effective for promoting healthy lifestyles. Some suggest alternative schedules such as four 10-hour work days with three days off, but others argue that it would be difficult for employers to implement. The conversation also touches on the issue of paid vacation time, with some expressing dissatisfaction with only having two weeks off per year. The discussion also veers off into tangents about different work schedules in different countries and the structure of bridges.
ehrenfest
What do you think of the (almost ubiquitous?) structure of the week: 5 consecutive days of work and then two consecutive days of rest and then repeat? I think it is pretty good for promoting healthy lifestyles.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like it. I would never want 2 separate days off. It wouldn't allow you to do a small getaway (trip) to anywhere. For those who enjoy camping in the summer, two separate days would ruin the summer.

The only problem I have is with only 2 weeks of paid vacation a year. I have no idea how people settle for that. I'm currently still a student so it's not a problem as of now, but after I'm done school, I am definitely considering moving to France. I met people there and they said you get minimum one month a year paid (sometimes you get a month and a week depending on the month).

Note: Some months occassionally have more business days than others.

JasonRox said:
The only problem I have is with only 2 weeks of paid vacation a year. I have no idea how people settle for that.
They move on to better jobs where vacation is a negotiable part of the compensation package.

I like it ok, but I think we should have Sunday and Monday off instead of Saturday and Sunday. I hate going to work on Mondays.

I would love a nice normal work week like that. :biggrin:

I would prefer four 10-hour work days and three off. It would be nice having three days off, plus it would reduce commuting costs.

lisab said:
I would prefer four 10-hour work days and three off. It would be nice having three days off, plus it would reduce commuting costs.

Yeah, that would be better. I agree.

I worked a 4,3 week for 2 years. A 9.5 hour day is hard on an aging mind & bod.

Routine is good. 5,2 is perfect.

DaveC426913 said:
I worked a 4,3 week for 2 years. A 9.5 hour day is hard on an aging mind & bod.

Routine is good. 5,2 is perfect.

The reason Mondays are tough is that you get to sleep in on the weekend and shift your sleep rhythm just enough to make it hard to shift back to getting up early again at the start of every new week. I have a feeling it would be even more difficult starting that first day back to work after 3 day weekends (I already know it is when I have a 3 day weekend due to a Monday or Friday holiday). On the other hand, I wouldn't complain about 3 weeks work and 1 week off.

10 hours, 4 days a week with a 3 day weekend might be good for me, but it would be terrible for my boss. I get 8 hours work done in a day whether the day lasts 8 hours or 10.

lisab said:

I think the state of Utah recently began doing that for a number of its government employees, if only to save on gas.

BTW, I opened this thread thinking there would be construction involved...

lisab said:

:rofl: Me too! I was thinking structure as in building, bridge, something like that. Structure of the week like Word of the day.

When I was considering going to the military the Sergeant that was going to recruit me (boy was he pissed when I ended up declining) told me that when you work on base you usually get 12 hours for 2 days and then 2 days off, rinse, repeat. I don't know how truthful he was being and whether or not that's for all jobs, but I wouldn't be able to do that I don't think. It's 2 days of your life gone vs. still being able to do something with those 4 hours.

lisab said:
I was expecting the Eiffel Tower or Taj Majal or Brooklyn Bridge or some similar structure.

lisab said:
Me too.

Astronuc said:
I was expecting the Eiffel Tower or Taj Majal or Brooklyn Bridge or some similar structure.

Or another one of those rotating buildings like the one in Dubai.

I know people who have 7 12 hour workdays followed by 7 days off.

I definitely prefer 5 days on 2 days off.

So is it "almost ubiquitous" around the world? If I go to some distance foreign provinceam I likely to find people who think its weird that there is a distinction between the week and the weekend or that follows some weird work-don't work sequence like 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21... instead of 5 2 5 2 5 2 5 2?

I was expecting to see people's favorite formal mathematical structure...

Astronuc said:

OK, if we are free to abuse this thread, here is my nomination for the structure of the week:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacoma_Narrows_Bridge

(make sure to scroll down to "Galloping Gertie")

Oberst Villa said:
OK, if we are free to abuse this thread,

Sure go ahead! I love watching threads diverge in new creative directions like this.

Oberst Villa said:
OK, if we are free to abuse this thread, here is my nomination for the structure of the week:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacoma_Narrows_Bridge

(make sure to scroll down to "Galloping Gertie")

... What a surprise! I'm about two kilometers away from that bridge at this very moment...

lisab said:
... What a surprise! I'm about two kilometers away from that bridge at this very moment...

Is it safe yet? Just kidding, the first time I saw this video was a loooong time ago in a college physics class. Are they still showing it?

Last edited by a moderator:
edward said:
Is it safe yet? Just kidding, the first time I saw this video was a loooong time ago in a college physics class. Are they still showing it?

I'm sure they still show it - it's a classic example of why resonance is such an important consideration for engineers.

The new Tacoma Narrows Bridge is actually two bridges now; the one they built to replace the wrecked one, and a new one that opened last year. People who commute over the bridges tell me their cars get blown around all the time, but at least the bridges are solid :smile: .

edward said:

I watched that video a rather long time ago in high school physics too.

In college, there was a wooden suspension bridge on campus across a ravine that you could get going quite well if you jumped in the right spot...great for freaking out the art majors (it was really close to the part of campus with the art school). :biggrin:

I don't know why it took me so long to think of it, but I remember the first time I heard that the President would give his "State of the Union" speech. I thought it was some kind of contest.

jimmysnyder said:
I don't know why it took me so long to think of it, but I remember the first time I heard that the President would give his "State of the Union" speech. I thought it was some kind of contest.

:rofl: Took me a minute to get that...!

1. Is the 5 days work and 2 days rest schedule beneficial for productivity?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it ultimately depends on the individual and their specific job requirements. However, studies have shown that taking regular breaks and having a balanced work-life schedule can improve overall productivity and prevent burnout.

2. How does this schedule affect employee satisfaction and morale?

Again, this can vary depending on the individual and their job responsibilities. However, having a consistent schedule with designated rest days can lead to higher job satisfaction and improved morale, as it allows for a healthy work-life balance.

3. Are there any potential drawbacks to this schedule?

Some potential drawbacks of this schedule include longer workdays to make up for the shorter workweek, difficulty coordinating schedules with colleagues or clients who may have different schedules, and a potential decrease in productivity if the individual is not able to effectively manage their time and workload.

4. Is this schedule suitable for all industries and job types?

While this schedule may work well for some industries and job types, it may not be feasible for others. For example, industries that require 24/7 operations or jobs that require constant availability may not be able to adhere to this schedule. It is important to consider the specific job requirements before implementing this schedule.

5. Are there any alternative schedules that may be more effective?

There are various alternative schedules that individuals and companies can explore, such as a 4-day workweek, flexible scheduling, or remote work options. It is important to consider the needs and preferences of both the individual and the company when determining the most effective schedule.