Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Structure or material can stand million years on earth?

1. Oct 8, 2016 #1
    hi, I got inspiration from alien, Prometheus, and knight of Sidonia(Japanimation)
    in these SIFI contents, I ve seen artificial things that stand quite long time.
    when it comes to man made structure, material, or method, I wonder is there any chance to survive million year on earth?
    structure, material, or method whatever.
    I know nothing about physics, so I wonder this actually possible or not.

this also comes from my personal interest too which comes from my teenage.
    BR

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you mean "obviously an artifact," there are any number of "fossils" currently in existence; if you mean "obviously a 'construct'," tunnel boring machines have been driven off into side passages, or tunnels themselves may over time of abandonment become "casts," in a secondary, derivative fossilization.

4. Oct 8, 2016 #3

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

The rock on my finger is at least a few million years old, maybe even a billion.

5. Oct 8, 2016 #4

Grinkle

Gold Member

Its not artificial, or at least it was not artificed that long ago! If artificied is even a word.

But you offer a possible example, since now we have technology that can create true diamonds, those would probably last as long as a few million years or more, just like the natural ones do.

6. Oct 11, 2016 #5
    Put a micro SD card into an artificial diamond, one that has been prepped to resist the damage an unprepped one would suffer during the process. Or simply encode directly into the diamond, binary code, l and - or such for one and zed.

7. Oct 11, 2016 #6
    I see no reason that the great pyramids will be completely gone in a million years. It'd take a hundred million to completely erode away.

8. Oct 11, 2016 #7
    But which areas on Earth are tectonicly stable enough to be here in a million years? Those might be the first sites surveyed for this message, yes?

9. Nov 3, 2016 #8
    I'm not sure if you are specifically after some structural object that is to withstand earths atmosphere but Quartz is highly resilient and several man-made objects have been designed that can theoretically last over a million years. One notable innovation is a data storage system by Hitachi which is supposedly good for 100 million years. http://www.infoworld.com/article/26...ata-storage-that-lasts-100-million-years.html

Apparently 100 million years is barely scratching the surface (sorry, bad pun) as other similar methods of data storage in glass are supposedly good for the age of the universe: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/news/2016/02/5d-data-storage-update.page

10. Nov 4, 2016 #9

Grinkle

Gold Member

11. Nov 4, 2016 #10

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

It does rain in Cairo (admittedly not a lot) and some weather effect resulted in the erosion of the sphinx over a few thousand years. So there will be some erosion, exactly how much I don't know how to calculate. Beyond that though plenty of buried pyramids have been found that, over the millennia, have been swallowed up by the shifting dunes.

After millions of years it doesn't seem inconceivable that the Great Pyramid would be somewhat eroded and buried. Perhaps an archeological dig could confirm it as a technological structure but I given the SF references I assume the OP is asking about a ruin that could be found above the surface, largely intact.

12. Nov 5, 2016 #11
    How about locating the "sign" on the Moon? Or in orbit around the Earth. Laser defenses for stray rocks, of course.

13. Nov 9, 2016 #12

DHF

That is certainly one way to go, have something in orbit that eventually falls back to earth. The satellites in orbit will last practically forever barring any collisions, as their power supplies fail, their orbits will decay over a long period of time and eventually fall back to Earth. For the purposes of your story there could be any manner of objects inside something in orbit, when it falls to the surface, future societies could encounter the wreckage and find "artifacts" inside.

Anything currently on the surface however is unlikely to last millions of years. Most modern man made structures will only last a few hundred years without maintenance. Over millions of years you have to take into account Continental movement, The Earth will swallow up most of what is already here over such a long time span. Objects in orbit however would be immune to all of these factors.

14. Nov 9, 2016 #13

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Even satellites won't necessarily be stable over multi-million year periods. Whilst altitudes that negate drag are easily achievable orbits can be nudged around due to interactions with the moon, sun and other bodies. There's also the issue of micro-meteorite impacts and solar radiation that may degrade orbits to the point of no return.

15. Nov 9, 2016 #14

DHF

Agreed on all accounts, but there is at least the possibility that a few might last that long thus given room for plot fuel in the OP's story.

16. Nov 9, 2016 #15
    Yes but it's not made by human technology.
    I guess there is a high probability that the Voyager probes and similar could still be out there in a million years.
    Even if Humans are not.

17. Nov 10, 2016 #16
    We make diamonds all the time these days.

18. Nov 10, 2016 #17
    Yes, I knew there are industrial diamonds, not sure if they are used for jewelry though, maybe they are.
    That apart though, I suppose it's possible that a diamond drill bit or similar might still be intact after a million years.
    (If it's not in water or anything else which might gradually erode it over such a long time).

19. Nov 10, 2016 #18
    They are used in jewelry, and the makers put a special material in them that glows under a certain freq. of light, so they can be told from the natural ones.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted