Struggling with Econ? Firm Producing 10 Units, Profit $50

• Thread starter cowgiljl
  • Start date
In summary, the firm in a perfectly competitive industry is currently producing 10 units with a total revenue of $80 and a total cost of $30. The marginal cost associated with the 11th unit is $12. Based on this information, increasing production to 11 units would result in a higher cost per unit of $3.80, which may not be financially beneficial for the firm. However, more information is needed, such as the marginal revenue and net profit, to make a definitive decision.
cowgiljl
:confused: Suppose a firm in a perfectly competive industry is producing a output of 10 units. The firms total revenue at this output is $80 and its total cost is $30. The firms marginal cost associated with the 11 unit of a output is $12. What can i say about an increase in production should it produce 11 unit or no

this is what i have
output TC MC
10 $30 $3 per unit
11 $42 $12 per unit

profit is $50

@10 units = 30/10 = $3
@11 unit = 42/11 = $3.80

it should not increase production because the cost more per unit to make

did i go about this right?
thanks joe

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, but I think it would depend on the marginal revenue (if there is such a thing) associated with the 11th unit. And is profit/unit of real concern, or net profit? I would think it would be profit. Of course, if this is a homework question, it really depends on what your teacher expects and has taught you.

Yes, you are correct. Based on the information provided, it would not be profitable for the firm to produce 11 units. The marginal cost of producing an additional unit is higher than the marginal revenue, so the firm would actually incur a loss by producing 11 units. Therefore, it would be more beneficial for the firm to continue producing 10 units and maintain a profit of $50.

1. What is the significance of producing 10 units in economics?

The number of units produced in economics is important because it directly affects a firm's profit. Producing more units generally leads to higher profits, while producing fewer units can result in lower profits.

2. How does a firm's profit of $50 relate to producing 10 units?

In this specific scenario, producing 10 units results in a profit of $50. This means that for every unit produced, the firm earns $5 in profit. This relationship may vary depending on the specific costs and revenues associated with producing each unit.

3. What factors can impact a firm's profit when producing 10 units?

There are various factors that can impact a firm's profit when producing 10 units, including the cost of production, the market demand for the product, and the competition in the market. For example, if the cost of production increases, it may decrease the firm's profit even if they are producing 10 units.

4. How does a firm determine the optimal number of units to produce?

The optimal number of units to produce is determined by analyzing the cost and revenue curves. The firm must find the point where the marginal cost (the cost of producing one additional unit) equals the marginal revenue (the revenue earned from selling one additional unit). This point is known as the profit-maximizing quantity.

5. Can a firm still be profitable if they are only producing 10 units?

It is possible for a firm to be profitable while producing only 10 units, but it depends on the specific costs and revenues associated with producing those units. If the cost of production is low and the market demand for the product is high, the firm may still earn a profit. However, in most cases, producing a larger quantity of units will result in higher profits.