Struggling in Highschool Physics

In summary, David is a junior who is struggling with his Physics AP class, as it is his first time taking a physics class. He feels that the blame for his difficulty lies partially on his teacher for only teaching the basics and on himself for not studying enough. He is looking for tips and advice on how to improve his grade and is considering outside sources, such as KhanAcademy and Udacity, to supplement his learning. Other forum members offer encouragement and suggest practicing lots of problems and understanding concepts from first principles.
metalicz
Hello,

My name is David and I'm particularly new to this forum. As of now the first grading period of my first semester is going to end, but I'm hit with a bad start on my physics grade. I'm taking Physics AP this year (I'm a junior now), and have never taken any other class before. I guess this is a disadvantage for me since many other students in my class have taken physics before already.

Learning physics became extremely hard on me these past weeks I've taken it. Although we're learning the basics, I do not understand the material at all. I feel that the blame goes on the teacher for only teaching the mere basics of the lesson, but also the blame goes on me for not reading extensively enough. I guess you can say that I'm more of a visual and audible learner, but I have not had as much trouble learning to read now than in the past.

I'm already stumped with a chance of getting a D or C in my class...I do poorly on my test and quizzes and suffice with homework with a lot of help. I fear that if I keep this up, I may jeopardize my physics grade. At this moment, I don't want that to happen.

So I ask you all for advice and tips on how I could get a better grade. Are there any sources that I can look at that can benefit me (I feel that my physics textbook does not provide enough information for me to understand it in truth)? Thanks for your help and for reading this.

Physics news on Phys.org
metalicz said:
Hello,

My name is David and I'm particularly new to this forum. As of now the first grading period of my first semester is going to end, but I'm hit with a bad start on my physics grade. I'm taking Physics AP this year (I'm a junior now), and have never taken any other class before. I guess this is a disadvantage for me since many other students in my class have taken physics before already.

Learning physics became extremely hard on me these past weeks I've taken it. Although we're learning the basics, I do not understand the material at all. I feel that the blame goes on the teacher for only teaching the mere basics of the lesson, but also the blame goes on me for not reading extensively enough. I guess you can say that I'm more of a visual and audible learner, but I have not had as much trouble learning to read now than in the past.

I'm already stumped with a chance of getting a D or C in my class...I do poorly on my test and quizzes and suffice with homework with a lot of help. I fear that if I keep this up, I may jeopardize my physics grade. At this moment, I don't want that to happen.

So I ask you all for advice and tips on how I could get a better grade. Are there any sources that I can look at that can benefit me (I feel that my physics textbook does not provide enough information for me to understand it in truth)? Thanks for your help and for reading this.

www.khanacademy.org if you're taking Physics B
www.udacity.com is also good
MIT OCW if you're taking any of the Physics C

BiP

I've never met anyone who doesn't struggle with physics. You have to read the book, work on the problems, whatever it is. What you are experiencing is completely normal, and all you can do is work harder.

What are you having trouble with? Doing the problems, understanding the concepts?

KhanAcademy is great for gaining an intuitive understanding of something and asking lots of questions (like here on PF) about how something really works until you actually know what's happening rather than just memorise textbook definitions and formulas. I know what you mean when you say your textbook doesn't provide enough information - my high school text is rubbish also.

@Bipolarity

Thanks a bunch for the links. I'll check them out, especially khanacademy since I'm taking Physics B right now.

@Woopydalan

Yeah, I hope I can do that. My textbook is such a pain to work through though, given only two examples and many problems that don't deal with such examples...

@autodidude

I'm having the issue with doing the problems mainly, along with possibly understanding concepts. I find it hard to know when equations apply to the question, and applying variations of the question is difficult for me as well. For example, motion problems did not seem hard at first given the main three equations to work it out, but the applications of it threw me off especially when I have to deal with angles... I will check out KhanAcademy and see if it helps. Thanks.

I think for that you just have to do a lot of questions and eventually you'll learn to recognise what each question is actually asking for. Also, I find it helpful try to derive things yourself from first principles. Good one to do are all the formulas for projectile motion - this way you understand why the formula is the way it is and when to apply it

1. Why do I struggle in high school physics?

There are a few potential reasons for struggling in high school physics. It could be due to a lack of prior knowledge in math and science, difficulty understanding the concepts, or not putting in enough effort to study and practice. It is important to identify the specific areas you are struggling in and seek help from a teacher or tutor.

2. How can I improve my grades in high school physics?

Improving your grades in high school physics requires dedication and hard work. Make sure to attend all classes and pay attention to the material being taught. Take detailed notes and ask questions when you don't understand something. Additionally, practice solving problems and seek help from your teacher or tutor when needed.

3. What study strategies can help me succeed in high school physics?

Effective study strategies for high school physics include reviewing your notes regularly, practicing problems, and using flashcards or other study aids. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates and to seek help from your teacher or tutor when needed.

4. Is it important to have a strong math background for high school physics?

Having a strong math background is essential for success in high school physics. Many of the concepts in physics are based on mathematical principles, so having a solid understanding of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry is important. If you struggle with math, it is important to seek extra help and practice to improve your skills.

5. How can I stay motivated to do well in high school physics?

Staying motivated in high school physics can be challenging, but setting goals for yourself and reminding yourself of the practical applications of physics can help. It can also be helpful to find a study buddy or join a study group to stay accountable and motivated. Additionally, seeking help when needed and celebrating small successes can also keep you motivated.