Overcoming Struggles in Physics: Seeking Advice

• Thread starter L²Cc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is taking IB SL physics, which they do not enjoy, but are obligated to finish due to IB guidelines. They are struggling and experiencing stress due to an upcoming physics exam. They initially considered pursuing an engineering career, but after reflecting over the summer, they are reconsidering their future major. The speaker's decision to take physics was influenced by their dad, and they are now "stuck" with the subject. They are seeking advice on how to improve their physics skills and possibly find enjoyment in the subject. They ask for others' experiences with physics and what careers they pursued. Suggestions are given to practice and use past papers, and to reflect on any underlying issues causing struggles with the subject.
L²Cc
I'm taking IB SL physics this year. I've already taken it last year, and I didn't enjoy it much. Due to IB guidelines, I'm somewhat obliged to finish off this year. Sadly, I have a physics exam to write at the end of this year, which is causing me incredible stress. I first considered pursuing an engineering career, but, after a lot of reflection this summer, I decided to reconsider my future major. To be honest with you, I chose physics last year under my dad's influence. Now, I am "stuck" with taking physics. Do you have any suggestions on how I can better my physics skills and handle this subject in a way that I could enjoy it...?

(Anyone who has had trouble with physics, please share you experience and let me know what career you pursued at the end).

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Whats the problem. Do you not like physics, is it too hard, boring, is there too much maths, or not enough maths so you don't understand why something happens?
Even if you don't do any more physics it's still a good basis for lots of other things.

Most people on this board probably enjoy physics - so we might not be the best people to ask!

Everybody has trouble at some point in physics. Take for instance relativity. Some of the ideas are off the chain. Physics, just like mathematics, takes contemplation and plenty of practice.

Fear can make you find reasons to dislike a subject, even if you really do enjoy it. I think before you make any decision you should reflect on why you are struggle. Once you ID your problem(s) then ask yourself, "am I willing to correct these problems or is it to much effort?" If it is the former, then go for physics if it is the latter, then it'll be for the best if you left.

As far as motivation goes, i can't help tou there, but as a former IB physics student id advice you to get your hands on as many Past papers as possible. youll notice that many of the questions are highly standardized and the IB tends to ask very similar questions year after year. Do a few papers and check the procedure they expect from you with a teacher and mark scheme and you should do just fine. Good luck

Dissonance in E said:
As far as motivation goes, i can't help tou there, but as a former IB physics student id advice you to get your hands on as many Past papers as possible. youll notice that many of the questions are highly standardized and the IB tends to ask very similar questions year after year. Do a few papers and check the procedure they expect from you with a teacher and mark scheme and you should do just fine. Good luck

Yup, i totally agree with him. sure you can take a few breaks in between but remember what you are doing and what you can achieve from it! GOOD LUCK!

1. How can I improve my understanding of complex physics concepts?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of complex physics concepts is to actively engage with the material. This can include practicing problems, discussing concepts with peers and professors, and seeking out additional resources such as textbooks or online lectures. It is also important to approach the material with a growth mindset and be open to making mistakes and learning from them.

2. What strategies can I use to overcome struggles with math in physics?

One strategy for overcoming struggles with math in physics is to break down complex equations into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help you to better understand the individual components and how they relate to each other. It can also be helpful to practice solving problems step-by-step and to seek out guidance from a tutor or professor if needed.

3. How can I stay motivated when facing challenges in physics?

One way to stay motivated when facing challenges in physics is to set specific, achievable goals for yourself. This can help you stay focused and motivated to overcome any struggles you may encounter. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of why you are studying physics and the potential benefits and opportunities that come with understanding the subject.

4. What resources are available for seeking help and advice with physics?

There are many resources available for seeking help and advice with physics. These can include tutoring services, study groups, online forums and discussion boards, and office hours with professors. It can also be helpful to reach out to classmates or peers who may be able to offer support and guidance.

5. How can I manage my time effectively while studying physics?

Time management is crucial when studying physics, as it can be a challenging and time-consuming subject. One strategy for effective time management is to create a study schedule and stick to it. This can help you prioritize your tasks and ensure that you are dedicating enough time to studying and understanding the material. It is also important to take breaks and make time for self-care to avoid burnout.