Struggling to understand cell cards in MCNP

In summary, the model has six cells, each with a surface card that specifies its geometry. The first three numbers on the surface card are the cell number, the material number, and the density of water. The next six numbers on the surface card (2, -1, 4, -3, 5, -6) are the coordinates of a point on the surface of the cell. The intersection of the surface card and the cube gives the coordinates of the center of the cell. The dimension of the cell is the length of the longest side of the cube.
zincsulphide
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,
you must take all the line "1 1 -1.0 2 -1 4 -3 5 -6"
it means cell number 1 ; material 1 ; Density 1 g/cm3 , after " 2 -1 4 -3 5 -6" is your geometry :
2 is the geometry 2 discribed in the block 2 : it is "PX -5" so it is normal plane to Ox with x=-5. you have +2 so you are on the right of this plane,
-1 is the geometry 1 discribed in the block 2 : it is "PX 5" so it is normal plane to Ox with x=5. you have -2 so you are on the left of this plane,

the instersection of "2 -1 4 -3 5 -6" gives a cube
line 8 is "100 2 -0.001293 (101 -102 -100)"
it means cell number 100 ; material 2 ; Density 0.001293 g/cm3

Last edited:
Likes zincsulphide
I try a scheme :

upload_2019-1-22_20-59-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-22_20-59-56.png
    upload_2019-1-22_20-59-56.png
    11 KB · Views: 543
PSRB191921 said:
Hi,
you must take all the line "1 1 -1.0 2 -1 4 -3 5 -6"
it means cell number 1 ; material 1 ; Density 1 g/cm3 , after " 2 -1 4 -3 5 -6" is your geometry :
2 is the geometry 2 discribed in the block 2 : it is "PX -5" so it is normal plane to Ox with x=-5. you have +2 so you are on the right of this plane,
-1 is the geometry 1 discribed in the block 2 : it is "PX 5" so it is normal plane to Ox with x=5. you have -2 so you are on the left of this plane,

the instersection of "2 -1 4 -3 5 -6" gives a cube
line 8 is "100 2 -0.001293 (101 -102 -100)"
it means cell number 100 ; material 2 ; Density 0.001293 g/cm3

I think I understand it now. So the surface card defines the geometry of each cell, and the cell card has numbers (6 numbers if the model is in 3D) that link to the surface card. Are the 6 cell card numbers in an order like x, x, y, y, z, z? For the last two numbers (5 and -6), why is the second number negative? Both top and bottom of the water phantom are on the +ve z axis. Is it negative because the geometry must be less than pz=20?

Do you mind if I upload an example that I am working on with an attempt at writing the cell and surface cards?

Just one more question. The dimensions of my model are in inches. As 5 inches is 5.08 cm, is it appropriate to round down to 5.0 cm or should I leave numbers exact? In my model I have one cell that is zinc sulphide (with a thickness of 0.0085 cm), so I'm unsure whether to round numbers up/down.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
zincsulphide said:
So the surface card defines the geometry of each cel
yes

zincsulphide said:
6 numbers if the model is in 3D
no : for a cube you have 6 planes so 6 Numbers. For a sphere one number. For a cylinder 3 Numbers (a cylinder and 2 planes) …

zincsulphide said:
why is the second number negative
if you have a plane (e.g. PX=5) if the number is negative you define all the volume in the direction of -Ox if positive in the direction of Ox. For a sphere negative is the volume Inside the sphere and positive outside the sphere.

zincsulphide said:
Do you mind if I upload an example that I am working on with an attempt at writing the cell and surface cards?
possible

zincsulphide said:
The dimensions of my model are in inches
I Don't know what is "inch" I only used SI (metric) unit

PSRB191921 said:
yesno : for a cube you have 6 planes so 6 Numbers. For a sphere one number. For a cylinder 3 Numbers (a cylinder and 2 planes) …if you have a plane (e.g. PX=5) if the number is negative you define all the volume in the direction of -Ox if positive in the direction of Ox. For a sphere negative is the volume Inside the sphere and positive outside the sphere.possibleI Don't know what is "inch" I only used SI (metric) unit

Hi, I will send you a pm of my example because some of the information is from confidential files.

Thanks again

1. What are cell cards in MCNP?

Cell cards in MCNP are used to define the geometry of a model. They specify the material, shape, and location of each cell in the model.

2. How do I create cell cards in MCNP?

Cell cards can be created using the MCNP input file or through the graphical user interface, MCNPX.

3. What information is required in a cell card?

A cell card requires the material number, the cell number, the material density, and the geometry specification (such as a surface or cell union) for each cell in the model.

4. How do I troubleshoot issues with cell cards in MCNP?

If you are having trouble understanding or using cell cards in MCNP, it is recommended to consult the MCNP manual or seek assistance from experienced users. Additionally, checking for errors in the input file and ensuring proper formatting can help resolve issues.

5. Are there any limitations to using cell cards in MCNP?

While cell cards are a powerful tool for defining geometry in MCNP, they do have some limitations. For example, they cannot be used to define complex shapes or overlapping cells. In these cases, alternative methods such as the use of lattices or more detailed surface definitions may be necessary.