1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Struggling with choosing a grad school for a PhD in Quantum Information Experiment

1. Mar 22, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can give me insight on this. I am visiting two schools next week - CU Boulder and University of Maryland, both of which I have been accepted to for quantum information experiment (PhD.)

Both are very highly ranked and seem to have great departments, and I'm incredibly happy that I have this choice to make, but I'm hoping someone in the field (or a related field) could talk to me about how they're perceived or if there is some sentiment about which is "better" (for lack of a better term?) I haven't been able to find any placement data for their PhD graduates (I'm hoping to go into academia.) I know that the final indicator will be how much I enjoy my visit/what professors I like most, but I'd like as much data as possible.

For the record, I'm not sure what implementation (re: qubits) I'd prefer... but most of the ones I am interested in (ion traps, quantum dots, superconducting circuits) fall under AMO or CM.

I've looked at their rankings on US News and the relevant ones are the following:
    Overall:
    Maryland 14
    Boulder 18

AMO:
    Maryland 6
    Boulder 1

CM:
    Maryland 10
    Boulder ??

"Quantum:"
    Boulder 8
    Maryland 8 (tie)

Overall, I feel like there's no way to go wrong. Like I said, just looking for any information anyone can provide. For the record, my family is in Maryland... but Boulder seems like a gorgeous place to live.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted