How can physics majors help with problem solving in Physics 111?

• Thread starter john16O
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the student is having difficulty with the problem solving aspect of the course. He is looking for advice from the physics majors on how to better handle this issue.
john16O
This is my first college physics class and I am having some difficulty with the problem solving aspect of the course...the actual concepts I am able to grasp quite easily but when it comes to word problems I am finding that i hit a road block...we are only doing motion in one dimension right now and I still am not able to solve the problems without having any difficulty...is there any advice that the physics majors can offere up towards problem solving?? thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It just means you are not adequately prepared. The best thing to do is write everything in the sentence in mathematical form. Look out for things like "from rest" and "stops".

With practice you will get better. Its good to look at solutions initially so that you have an idea of how to do things. Also, you might just be doing the hard problems too soon. Get your confidence up with some easier word problems.

I promise you, if you work hard you will see improvement in a matter of weeks. Every struggles at first. Some just get their struggles over with before college.

yea, I am probably going to have to do a bunch of extra problems every weekend so that way i can be better prepared...thanks for the advice!

Well initially anyway. All I'm saying is you have a crappy background, so it will take some work to get up to speed. Afterwards, you should have no problems with word problems.

blindly apply laws in their mathematical form...i'm sure you willwin

I'm also taking Physics 111, and I have some similar problems. What I do is refer back to my notes from Physics 30 and Physics 20 (Grade 11 and 12 physics). The simpler concepts might have been better explained to you back then compared to any explanations you might get from university professors, as they're not completely accustomed to teaching that sort of stuff. So, hopefully you took notes in high school.
I'm actually working right now on preparing a few sheets to stick in with my class notes, to help me remember the concepts and theories behind the things discussed in class. If you'd like, I can sen you a copy when I'm finished it.

Wecht said:
I'm also taking Physics 111, and I have some similar problems. What I do is refer back to my notes from Physics 30 and Physics 20 (Grade 11 and 12 physics). The simpler concepts might have been better explained to you back then compared to any explanations you might get from university professors, as they're not completely accustomed to teaching that sort of stuff. So, hopefully you took notes in high school.
I'm actually working right now on preparing a few sheets to stick in with my class notes, to help me remember the concepts and theories behind the things discussed in class. If you'd like, I can sen you a copy when I'm finished it.

yea sure, that would be cool! Although since they are YOUR notes i don't know how much I would be able to understand and follow the logic behind them(not implying you take bad notes). But yes, i would def. use them to see if I can fill in any gaps that I may have. Thanks! I guess you can just pm me and I'll give you my email address...thanks again!

Since it looks like you're both studying in the same Institution, besides trading notes, get together and meet up for group studying? Two heads are better than one.

I don't think we go to the same school, but if we did that would be a good idea...

1. What is the difficulty level of Physics 111?

Physics 111 is an introductory level course, so it is designed to be manageable for students who have little to no prior experience with physics. However, it can still be challenging for those who struggle with math or have a weaker foundation in the subject.

2. How do I prepare for Physics 111?

To prepare for Physics 111, it is important to review basic math concepts such as algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the course materials and attend any review sessions or office hours offered by the professor. Practicing problems and working through examples can also improve your understanding of the subject.

3. What are the common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include thinking that it is only for those who are naturally gifted in math and science, that it is all about memorization, and that it is not applicable to everyday life. In reality, anyone can learn and excel in physics with practice and understanding of fundamental concepts, and it has many applications in our daily lives.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in Physics 111?

Improving problem-solving skills in physics requires practice and breaking down problems into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind the problems rather than just memorizing equations. Seeking help from the professor or a tutor can also aid in improving problem-solving skills.

5. What resources are available to help me with Physics 111?

There are many resources available to help with Physics 111, including textbooks, online tutorials, review sessions, and study groups. Your professor or teaching assistant may also offer office hours for individualized help. Additionally, many universities have tutoring centers or learning labs specifically for science and math courses.