1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Struggling with physics 111

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    This is my first college physics class and I am having some difficulty with the problem solving aspect of the course....the actual concepts I am able to grasp quite easily but when it comes to word problems im finding that i hit a road block...we are only doing motion in one dimension right now and I still am not able to solve the problems without having any difficulty...is there any advice that the physics majors can offere up towards problem solving?? thanks in advance!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2
    It just means you are not adequately prepared. The best thing to do is write everything in the sentence in mathematical form. Look out for things like "from rest" and "stops".

With practice you will get better. Its good to look at solutions initially so that you have an idea of how to do things. Also, you might just be doing the hard problems too soon. Get your confidence up with some easier word problems.

I promise you, if you work hard you will see improvement in a matter of weeks. Every struggles at first. Some just get their struggles over with before college.
  4. Sep 12, 2008 #3
    yea, im probably going to have to do a bunch of extra problems every weekend so that way i can be better prepared...thanks for the advice!
  5. Sep 12, 2008 #4
    Well initially anyway. All I'm saying is you have a crappy background, so it will take some work to get up to speed. Afterwards, you should have no problems with word problems.
  6. Sep 13, 2008 #5
    blindly apply laws in their mathematical form.......i'm sure you willwin
  7. Sep 30, 2008 #6
    I'm also taking Physics 111, and I have some similar problems. What I do is refer back to my notes from Physics 30 and Physics 20 (Grade 11 and 12 physics). The simpler concepts might have been better explained to you back then compared to any explanations you might get from university professors, as they're not completely accustomed to teaching that sort of stuff. So, hopefully you took notes in high school.
    I'm actually working right now on preparing a few sheets to stick in with my class notes, to help me remember the concepts and theories behind the things discussed in class. If you'd like, I can sen you a copy when I'm finished it.
  8. Sep 30, 2008 #7
    yea sure, that would be cool!!! Although since they are YOUR notes i dunno how much I would be able to understand and follow the logic behind them(not implying you take bad notes). But yes, i would def. use them to see if I can fill in any gaps that I may have. Thanks!! I guess you can just pm me and I'll give you my email address...thanks again!!
  9. Sep 30, 2008 #8
    Since it looks like you're both studying in the same Institution, besides trading notes, get together and meet up for group studying? Two heads are better than one.
  10. Sep 30, 2008 #9
    I don't think we go to the same school, but if we did that would be a good idea....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?