1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Struggling with point charges

1. Apr 15, 2015 #1
    Hey guys, new to this forum. Currently studying a mechanical engineering degree (first year), but I'm having real problems with some of the electrical side of it, mainly electric fields.

Any tips or help on how to answer these two questions:

1. Two point charges of +3.1 muC are seperated by a distance of 2.4cm. What would be the total force on a +0.25 uC point charge placed between them, 1cm away from one of them? (answer given 34.2 N away from nearest charge)

2.Two point charges of +3.1 muC are seperated by a distance of 2.4cm. What would be the electric field strength between them, 1cm away from one of them? (answer given 137 N/C)

I realise that the muC seems a little strange, I have taken this to mean (*10-6), but I wrote it as muC as this is how it is written in my textbook.

Thanks for any help given!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi jn, welcome to PF

Please note that we require that posts in the homework forums include the homework template provided when you make a new post and has it filled out. In particular, we ask that students provide us with details on their own attempt to solve the problems. We must therefore ask that you provide us with your own thoughts on the problems first. This will give us a better opportunity to provide you with the appropriate help.

See the links in my signature for further details.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted