Struggling with post-lab question

• Thread starter brendan3eb
  • Start date
In summary, according to Archimedes' principle, a block of wood floating in a beaker of water experiences an upward buoyant force. If the beaker with the water and floating block were weighed, the measured weight would be less than the sum of the weights of the individual components. This is because the block displaces a certain volume of water, reducing the overall weight of the beaker and water.
brendan3eb
5. A block of wood floats in a beaker of water. According to Archimedes’ principle, the block experiences an upward buoyant force. If the beaker with the water and floating block were weighed, would the measured weight be less than the sum of the weights of the individual components? Explain.

Homework Equations

fb = change in pressure * A

The Attempt at a Solution

I am utterly lost

Physics news on Phys.org
If the beaker with the water and floating block were weighed,
If block has mass m1 and beaker and water together have mass m2, what are the weights?

Now put block in the water. What happens to the masses? The what is the weight of the masses?

Don't laugh but my city council announced a proposal to strengthen a canal aquaduct so it could carry heavier barges!

1. How can I improve my understanding of post-lab questions?

To improve your understanding of post-lab questions, it is important to carefully read and understand the instructions provided in the lab manual. Take notes while conducting the experiment and review them before answering the post-lab questions. Additionally, discussing the questions with your peers or seeking clarification from your instructor can also help improve your understanding.

2. Why do I struggle with post-lab questions?

There can be several reasons why you may struggle with post-lab questions. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the experiment, not paying enough attention during the lab, or not taking thorough notes. It could also be because the questions are designed to challenge your critical thinking skills, so it is important to practice and improve your analytical abilities.

3. How much time should I spend on post-lab questions?

The amount of time you spend on post-lab questions may vary depending on the complexity of the experiment and the number of questions. It is important not to rush through the questions and take enough time to think and provide accurate answers. As a general rule, allocate at least 20-30 minutes for answering post-lab questions.

4. What should I do if I don't know how to answer a post-lab question?

If you encounter a question that you are unsure about, do not panic. Take a moment to carefully read the question and try to think about what the question is asking. Use your notes, lab manual, and any other available resources to help you answer the question. If you are still unsure, do not hesitate to seek help from your instructor or classmates.

5. Are post-lab questions important?

Yes, post-lab questions are an essential part of the scientific process. They help reinforce your understanding of the experiment, identify any areas of confusion, and improve your critical thinking skills. They also allow you to reflect on the experiment and its outcomes, which is an important aspect of scientific research.