1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Struggling with problem solving

1. Jul 20, 2015 #1
    I'm a junior in physics and math and I've done very well in my courses, but I'm finding that things like contest problems and math puzzles are extremely difficult for me. There's a problem solving club at my college I go to and I'm finding even the very simplest of the drills we're given are all but impenetrable. I've looked into a few books, like the Mathematical Olympiad Handbook and A Primer for Mathematics Competitions as well as the ones everyone said I should read, Polya, Schoenfeld, and Street Fighting Mathematics and while it's all been very interesting I feel like I'm just not learning anything.

This is something I really want to get better at, but I'm at a loss as to how to proceed since it seems I'm just stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2015 #2
    I know how you feel. Certain kinds of problem solving can be very difficult for me also.

Your problem solving skill in your coursework is a good sign. If you persevere in other challenges, I bet you will improve in them also.

When working with others, you should ask them not only how they solved the problem, but WHY they chose a certain step at key points.

Keep practicing, you will get better.

4. Jul 21, 2015 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just to note to say that solving problems in the rather artificial world of academic study and exams is very different to solving problems in later research or in industry .

Whilst I have often had to sit down and puzzle over difficult problems in engineering for hours (or sometimes weeks !) I have never had to do this in total isolation like in an exam . Massive resources of published data and generous help from colleagues has always been available .

Took a little while for penny to drop but I soon learned that effective utilisation all these resources was an essential tool for problem solving .

Not many people will ever experience this now because industry has changed but I have fond memories of very complex problems being solved in a few seconds of absolutely sparkling ideas exchange between several people standing at a drawing board .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook