Solving a Homogeneous ODE: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation is about solving a specific ODE using the substitution method. The speaker shares their progress and asks for guidance on the next step. The expert suggests replacing a certain term with v and referencing a similar question on a problem sheet. The speaker thanks the expert and confirms that they have solved the problem.
FeynmanIsMyHero
Hi,

I'm having trouble with this ODE:

y' + 4xy - y^2 = 4x^2 - 7

=> y' = 4x^2 - 4xy + y^2 - 7
= (2x - y)^2 - 7

=> x(dv/dx) + v = (2x-vx)^2 - 7
= x^2(2-v)^2 - 7

I assume this ODE is of the homogeneous type, so I've substituted v=y/x and gotten thus far, but, what's the next step?

Physics news on Phys.org
FeynmanIsMyHero said:
Hi,

I'm having trouble with this ODE:

y' + 4xy - y^2 = 4x^2 - 7

=> y' = 4x^2 - 4xy + y^2 - 7
= (2x - y)^2 - 7

Try to replace 2x-y by v and solve for v. .

ehild

Hmm this looks exactly like one of the questions on my assignment. Don't know of you are from University of Melbourne but if you are then you are ignoring the explicit instruction that we're supposed to write up the solutions to the assignment independently.

In any case if you are from the same uni as I am then a hint that I can give you w/o actually telling you how to do the question is to go back to the problem sheets. There is a question which requires the same technique.

You are on the right track btw.

Last edited:
Thanks, I've figured it out now! :tongue2:

1. What is a homogeneous ODE?

A homogeneous ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a type of differential equation where all terms contain the dependent variable and its derivatives. In other words, there are no terms that are independent of the dependent variable.

2. What is the process for solving a homogeneous ODE?

The general process for solving a homogeneous ODE involves first identifying the type of equation and then using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integration to solve for the dependent variable.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve homogeneous ODEs?

Some common techniques used to solve homogeneous ODEs include separation of variables, substitution, integration, and the method of undetermined coefficients. These techniques involve manipulating the equation to isolate the dependent variable and then solving for its value.

4. What are the steps involved in solving a homogeneous ODE?

The steps involved in solving a homogeneous ODE can vary depending on the specific technique used. However, the general steps include identifying the type of equation, manipulating the equation to isolate the dependent variable, and then solving for its value. It may also be necessary to use initial or boundary conditions to find the specific solution.

5. Are there any tips for effectively solving homogeneous ODEs?

It can be helpful to have a good understanding of calculus and algebra when solving homogeneous ODEs. It is also important to carefully follow the steps and techniques for each type of equation. Practice and familiarity with different types of equations can also improve problem-solving skills. Additionally, checking the solution with the original equation and initial/boundary conditions can help ensure accuracy.