Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Stubs in a tracker

1. Aug 20, 2017 #1
    Hello! I am reading some stuff about the tracker of a detector in a particle collider and I am not sure I know what stubs are. They appear without any definition: "To be used for the primary vertex finding task, the resulting tracks must have stubs in at least four different tracker layers". I didn't really find a definition online. From this sentence I guess a stub is like an accumulation of energy in certain cells inside a layer of a tracker (those cells form the stub) but I am not totally sure. Can someone clarify this? (I am reading about the CMS detector) Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A stub is a short track.

4. Aug 21, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Accumulation of energy is something you'll find in a calorimeter, not a tracker.
    The CMS tracking detector has several layers where both sides are instrumented, so you can look for places in the detector where both sides had a hit at the same place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted