Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck draw

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

The draw i keep my kitchen implements in is stuck, i am sure it is the the spatula thing for picking up fried eggs as it has done it before, but this time i can not un wedge it as the draw will only move about 1/4 inch, i have tried shaking, wiggling, pulling, banging it but nothing works this time.
    Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2008 #2
    Why don't you call up a repairman instead ?

4. Sep 22, 2008 #3
    In some cases, if there is another drawer below the stuck one, you can pull that one out, reach around the back, and get the offending spatula. Don't put it back in.

5. Sep 22, 2008 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Not this one, i would have to be an India rubber man to reach around the back.

6. Sep 22, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Find yourself a rubber man, then follow jimmy's directions.

7. Sep 22, 2008 #6
    Perhaps you can find some tool that you can use. I'm thinking of something long and thin with a handle at one end and a flat surface at the other.

8. Sep 22, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd be willing to blame the spatula too. Though, I've had ladles cause that trouble too. I don't know why cabinet makers always make the utensil drawers so shallow that there's barely room for a spatula. This is why I only keep flatware in the top drawer, and the other utensils in the one below it. If a utensil gets stuck, I just pull out the flatware drawer and can reach into the one below it easily.

You might be able to get in with a butter knife to pry down the edge of whatever is sticking. Or, if you have one of those skinny metal jimmy stick things for unlocking car doors, that could work, or a metal coat hanger you could bend to squeeze into the space.

9. Sep 22, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

I am working on it, i can just pull the draw out enough to slip an hacksaw blade in, trouble is the more i pull the more wedged it is.

10. Sep 22, 2008 #9
    My wife has taken a vase and used it for the purpose of holding spatulas, rice paddles, tongs and other utensils of that sort.

11. Sep 22, 2008 #10

wolram

Gold Member

I have my knife shoe and wok set on the counter plus my slow cooker, with a small kitchen there is only so much space.
    Still have not open the draw, i think i will have to measure one of the other draws to get the screw centers and drill them out.

12. Sep 22, 2008 #11

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you tried praying to Anoia (obscure Discworld reference) ?

13. Sep 22, 2008 #12

wolram

Gold Member

Keep them Disc world gods away from me, things is complicated enough as is :smile:

14. Sep 22, 2008 #13
    Try cleaning your bike in the kitchen.

15. Sep 22, 2008 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess, if worse comes to worse, you could drill up from the bottom of the drawer. Thread a wire through the hole and try to catch the utensil that is catching.

And if you want to make a million dollars - or pounds (even better!) - think up a way to prevent this from happening, because it happens to everyone!

16. Sep 23, 2008 #15

wolram

Gold Member

Great minds, well one great one and one little one, this is what i ended up doing. and i now have an angled deflector fitted to the top of the cabinet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?