How Is x(t) Determined from Its Fourier Series Coefficients and Given Integrals?

In summary, x(t) is periodic with T=3. x(k) is FS coeff. X(k)=X(-k) and X(k)=X(k+2) also. integral from t=-0.5 to 0.5 of x(t)dt is 1. integral from 0.5 to 1.5 of x(t) dt is 2. x(t) can only consist of an impulse at t=0 and another at t=1.5 (both repeated period 3 of course).
reddvoid
x(t) is periodic with T=3.
X(k) is FS coeff.
X(k)=X(-k) and X(k)=X(k+2)
also
integral from t=-0.5 to 0.5 of x(t)dt is 1
integral from 0.5 to 1.5 of x(t) dt is 2.
Find x(t)
========
i found that the signal x(t) is even and X(0) is 5/3 (if I'm correct)
and integral from t=-1.5 to 1.5 of x(t)dt = 5
what will be x(t) ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's a nice tricky little problem reddvoid. The trick is that there's a FS property that says if the FS is to be periodic then the function must be discrete (that is, impulses). Furthermore the spacing of the impulses is reciprocally related to the repetition period of the FS (2 f0 in this case). That is, [itex]dt = 1/(2 f_0) = \frac{1}{2} T[/itex], meaning that x(t) can only consist of an impulse at t=0 and another at t=1.5 (both repeated period 3 of course).

uart said:
That's a nice tricky little problem reddvoid. The trick is that there's a FS property that says if the FS is to be periodic then the function must be discrete (that is, impulses).

Furthermore the spacing of the impulses is reciprocally related to the repetition period of the FS (2 f0 in this case). That is, [itex]dt = 1/(2 f_0) = \frac{1}{2} T[/itex], meaning that x(t) can only consist of an impulse at t=0 and another at t=1.5 (both repeated period 3 of course).

thanks alot, I understood it now
but
if x(t) is a signal with impulse at t=0 and 1.5 repeating with period 3
then it doesn't satisfy the condition that
integration from 0.5 to 1.5 x(t) dt = 2
because according to you from 0.5 to 1.5 there is only one impulse
which gives integration 0.5 to 1.5 x(t)dt =1
I guess its impulse at t=0 and impulse of hight 2 at t= 1.5 repeating with period=3, right ?

Last edited:
I guess its impulse at t=0 and impulse of hight 2 at t= 1.5 repeating with period=3, right ?
Yes when I said "an impulse" I wasn't implying that it was a "unit impulse". I had to leave some of the work, calculating the strength of the impulses, for you. :)

BTW. We usually refer to the "strength" of an impulse rather than the "height", since technically the height of an impulse is always infinity.

uart said:
Yes when I said "an impulse" I wasn't implying that it was a "unit impulse". I had to leave some of the work, calculating the strength of the impulses, for you. :)

BTW. We usually refer to the "strength" of an impulse rather than the "height", since technically the height of an impulse is always infinity.
Ok, gotit :)
can you please suggest me some good book for signals
or one which you refer,
I'm using Signals and systems by Simon Haykin and Barry Van Veen
I feel quite difficult to follow this

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of trigonometric functions. It is used to decompose a complex signal into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand.

2. How do I know if I am stuck in a Fourier series problem?

If you are trying to solve a problem involving periodic functions and find yourself unable to make progress, you may be stuck in a Fourier series problem. This can happen when the functions involved are complex and the solution requires advanced mathematical techniques.

3. What are some common techniques for solving Fourier series problems?

Some common techniques for solving Fourier series problems include using orthogonality, applying the Fourier series formulas, and using complex numbers. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of trigonometry and calculus.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Fourier series?

To improve your understanding of Fourier series, it is important to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the various formulas and techniques. You can also refer to textbooks, online resources, and seek guidance from a mentor or tutor.

5. What are some real-world applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series have many real-world applications, including signal processing, image and sound compression, data analysis, and solving differential equations. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.