1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck, need help quick!

1. Dec 5, 2007 #1
    After a completely inelastic collision between two objects of equal mass, each hacing initial speed v, the two move off together with speed v/3. What was the angle between their initial directions?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Where did you get stuck?

4. Dec 5, 2007 #3
    i dont know where to begin, i hate the problems that just give you variables.

5. Dec 5, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Begin by drawing a diagram. Have one object move along the x-axis; the other move at some angle theta to the x-axis. Apply conservation of momentum and you'll be able to solve for theta.

6. Dec 5, 2007 #5
    Dang Doc! I understand that, but you want to bet the OP doesn't?

Besides, the collision is inelastic. Do we not need to know the coefficient of elasticity so we can determine how much of the energy is transferred back to the new "v" as opposed to lost in heat or other phenomena that is part of inelasticity?

7. Dec 6, 2007 #6

Doc Al

One step at a time. :wink:

No need for such heavy artillery. The collision is completely inelastic: The two objects stick together after the collision. That's all you need to know.

8. Dec 6, 2007 #7
    thanks i think i got it, can someone work it out to see if they get 45 degrees as the angle?

9. Dec 6, 2007 #8

Doc Al

No, that's not right. Show exactly what you did.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?