Solve the Mystery of Four Numbers with Unusual Sums | Homework Help

In summary, the conversation is about solving for four numbers represented by A, B, C, and D, where their sums when adding three of the four equal 20, 22, 24, and 27. The equations for the subsets are A+B+C=20, A+C+D=22, A+B+D=24, and B+C+D=27. By solving these equations, the four unknown numbers can be determined without the need for a fifth variable.
loves-to-run
Okay so there are four numbers represented by A,B,C,D. Their sums when adding three of the four equal the following sums.. 20,22,24, and 27. This is what I have discovered so far but am really stuck.

a+b+c+d=x 20= b+c+d or 20= x-a 22=x-b 24= x-c 27=x-d

Thanks in advance to anyone who can solve this, I really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you should be aware that there is a homework forum and I am going to move this thread there.

Second, the 4 3-member subsets of {A, B, C, D} are {A, B, C}, {A, C, D}, {A, B, D}, and {B, C, D}. You have 4 equations: A+ B+ C= 20, A+ C+ D= 22, A+ B+ D= 24, and B+ C+ D= 27. You should be able to solve 4 equations for the 4 unknown numbers. There is no need to introduce a fifth, "x".
Those should be easy to solve. For example, from the first equation, A= 20- B- C. Replace A in the other 3 equations and you have reduced form 4 to 3 equations. Keep doing that.

I would approach this problem by first organizing the given information into a clear mathematical equation, as you have done. From there, I would look for patterns and relationships between the numbers and their sums.

One possible approach is to start by rearranging the given equations to isolate each variable on one side. For example, we can rewrite the first equation as a = x - (b+c+d), and similarly for the other three equations. This allows us to see that all four variables are dependent on x, which can help us find a solution.

Next, we can look at the given sums and see if there are any patterns or relationships between them. For instance, we can see that 20 is two less than 22, which is two less than 24, and so on. This suggests that there may be a constant difference between the sums.

To test this hypothesis, we can subtract 2 from each sum and see if the resulting numbers (18, 20, 22, and 25) have any relationships with the given equations. We can see that 18 can be written as x - (b+c) and 25 can be written as x - d. This means that the missing variable in these equations is a, and we can solve for it by setting them equal to each other: x - (b+c) = x - d. This simplifies to b + c = d.

Now, we can substitute this relationship into the original equations. For example, we can rewrite 20= b+c+d as 20= (b+c) + (b+c) + d. Using the relationship we found earlier, we can rewrite this as 20 = d + (b+c) + (b+c) = 2d + (b+c). Similarly, we can rewrite the other three equations as 22 = 2x - a, 24 = 2x - b, and 27 = 2x - c.

At this point, we have four equations with four variables (a, b, c, and d) and can solve for x by setting them equal to each other. This will give us a system of equations to solve. Once we have x, we can plug it back into the original equations to solve for the remaining variables.

In conclusion, by organizing the given information and looking for patterns and relationships, we can use mathematical principles to solve this mystery of four numbers with unusual sums.

1. What should I do if I am stuck on a homework question?

First, take a deep breath and try not to panic. Then, re-read the question carefully to make sure you understand what it is asking. Next, review your class notes or textbook for any relevant information. If you are still stuck, try looking for similar examples or problems online for guidance. If all else fails, don't be afraid to reach out to your teacher or classmates for help.

2. How long should I spend on a homework question before seeking help?

The amount of time spent on a homework question can vary depending on the difficulty of the question and your own understanding of the topic. As a general rule, if you have been stuck on a question for more than 15-20 minutes, it may be time to seek help. However, it is also important to challenge yourself and not give up too easily, so try to make an effort to solve the question before seeking help.

3. What are some strategies for approaching a difficult homework question?

One strategy for approaching a difficult homework question is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help you better understand the problem and make it less overwhelming. Another strategy is to work backwards from the answer, if possible. You can also try explaining the question to someone else or drawing a diagram to help visualize the problem.

4. How can I avoid getting stuck on a homework question in the first place?

One way to avoid getting stuck on a homework question is to stay organized and keep up with your studies. This means attending class, taking thorough notes, and reviewing material regularly. It can also be helpful to start working on assignments early so you have time to ask for help if needed. Additionally, practicing similar problems or seeking extra practice can improve your understanding and reduce the chances of getting stuck on a homework question.

5. Can getting stuck on a homework question be beneficial?

Yes, getting stuck on a homework question can actually be beneficial. It can challenge your critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and also highlight areas where you may need to review or seek additional help. It can also help you develop resilience and perseverance, as you work through the problem and eventually come to a solution. Just remember to seek help if you are truly stuck and don't let it discourage you from learning and growing as a student.