How Many Parts to Sample for a Complete Set with 95% Confidence?

In summary, the expert needs to measure one part of each number in order to determine if they have a 95% chance of getting at least one of each number. To do this, they need to pull out a part from the bin.
Bandit127
Gold Member
I could do with some help here about a problem I had at work today.

I have a process that dumps 8 parts in a bin every cycle. Each part is numbered, 1 to 8. (It is a big bin and it will contain an equal quantity of each number).

I need to measure one part of each number, so I need to grab a sample of parts from the bin.

How many parts do I need to pull out of the bin before I have a 95% chance of getting at least one of each number? (My guess was 40 parts, but in two samples of 40 parts I had two numbers missing from each sample. Loads of 5s but no 1s for example).

So, I worked out that the probability of getting 1 to 8 in the first 8 moulds is 8!/88 or about 0.0024.

But there I got stuck on how that probability changes with the next set of 8 parts I pull from the bin. And so on until I have a ~95% chance of getting them all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bandit127 said:
I could do with some help here about a problem I had at work today.

I have a process that dumps 8 parts in a bin every cycle. Each part is numbered, 1 to 8. (It is a big bin and it will contain an equal quantity of each number).

I need to measure one part of each number, so I need to grab a sample of parts from the bin.

How many parts do I need to pull out of the bin before I have a 95% chance of getting at least one of each number? (My guess was 40 parts, but in two samples of 40 parts I had two numbers missing from each sample. Loads of 5s but no 1s for example).

So, I worked out that the probability of getting 1 to 8 in the first 8 moulds is 8!/88 or about 0.0024.

But there I got stuck on how that probability changes with the next set of 8 parts I pull from the bin. And so on until I have a ~95% chance of getting them all.

So I have to ask -- why can't you look into the bin and select 8 parts that have different numbers? Why do you have to pull a part out of the bin before looking at the number? Seems like a very inefficient way to design a process, IMO.

What is a sample size problem?

A sample size problem occurs when the number of observations or data points in a study or experiment is too small to accurately represent the population being studied.

Why is sample size important in scientific research?

Sample size is important because it affects the accuracy and reliability of the results. If the sample size is too small, the results may not be representative of the entire population, leading to incorrect conclusions.

How can I determine the appropriate sample size for my study?

The appropriate sample size for a study depends on various factors, including the research question, the population size, and the desired level of precision. Statistical power analysis can be used to calculate the minimum sample size needed to detect a significant effect.

What are the consequences of having a small sample size in a study?

Having a small sample size can lead to biased and unreliable results. It can also decrease the statistical power of the study, making it difficult to detect significant effects even if they exist in the population.

Can a sample size problem be fixed after the study has been conducted?

In most cases, a sample size problem cannot be fixed after the study has been conducted. However, if the study is ongoing, additional data can be collected to increase the sample size and improve the accuracy of the results.