1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck on a thermodynamics problem

1. May 13, 2013 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm stuck on a relatively simple exercise which can be found in Callen's book: Show that if ##\alpha = \frac{1}{T}## then ##c_P## is pressure independent.

2. Relevant equations
    What they ask me to show is: If ##\frac{1}{v} \left ( \frac{\partial v }{\partial T} \right ) _P=\frac{1}{T} \Rightarrow \left ( \frac{\partial c_P }{\partial P} \right ) _T=0##.
    Where the lower case v is the molar volume and for what will follow the lower case letters are molar quantities.

3. The attempt at a solution
    ##c_P=T \left ( \frac{\partial s }{\partial T} \right ) _P##. Since both alpha and the specific heat at constant pressure are given in terms of T and P, I will think about v and ##c_p## as functions of T and P.
    So ##\left ( \frac{\partial c_P }{\partial P} \right ) _T=T \frac{\partial }{\partial P} \left [\left ( \frac{\partial s }{\partial T} \right ) _P \right ] _T=T \frac{\partial }{\partial T} \left [ \left ( \frac{\partial s }{\partial P} \right ) _T \right ] _P##. Now I use a Maxwell relation, namely that ##\left ( \frac{\partial s }{\partial P} \right ) _T=- \left ( \frac{\partial v }{\partial T} \right ) _P##.
    So I get that ##\left ( \frac{\partial c_P }{\partial P} \right ) _T=-T\frac{\partial }{\partial T} \left [ \left ( \frac{\partial v }{\partial T} \right ) _P \right ] _P=-T \frac{\partial }{\partial T} \left [ \left ( \frac{v(T,P)}{T} \right ) \right ] _P##.
    So if I can show that ##\frac{\partial }{\partial T} \left [ \left ( \frac{v(T,P)}{T} \right ) \right ] _P=0## then the job would be done. However I'm stuck here, I haven't been able to find a way to show that... Am I going the wrong way? Or simply missing a simple thing?

Edit: Nevermind, problem solved. lol, I was missing a simple thing. I had to perform the partial derivative and I indeed reach that it's worth 0 and hence the proof is completed.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2013 #2
    The equation for the enthalpy change expressed in terms of dT and dP is given by
    [tex]dH=C_pdT+V(1-\alpha T)dP[/tex]

The form of this equation is
    [tex]dH=\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}dT+\frac{\partial H}{\partial P}dP[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}=C_p[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial H}{\partial P}=V(1-\alpha T)[/tex]
    So,[tex]\frac{\partial^2 H}{\partial T \partial P}=\frac{\partial C_p}{\partial P}=\frac{\partial (V(1-\alpha T))}{\partial T}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted