Stuck on an equation involving powers - I only have 1 unknown

• Thread starter Flucky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary: The OP asked if the exponent is an integer, and you implied that it isn't. This is wrong, and could lead to confusion.
Flucky
Hi all sorry the title couldn't be more descriptive.

I'm having a bit of a brain block with this equation (it's the very end of a problem).

N([itex]\frac{5}{6}[/itex])[itex]^{N-1}[/itex] > [itex]\frac{27}{5}[/itex]

My line of thought was to get the first N in terms of the power N-1..

How do I find N?

Physics news on Phys.org
Analytically you can't.

Sorry I meant how do I simplify the inequality, ie N > #

What dirk_mec1 said.

However, a comment in the OP raises a question: is the coefficient N the same variable as the exponent N? You seem to imply that they are different.

Ah I guess I've gone wrong somewhere.

Yes the N's are the same.

Is ##N## supposed to be an integer?

It represents the rolls of a dice. I'm going to post the full question over in the physics homework subforum.

Flucky said:
It represents the rolls of a dice. I'm going to post the full question over in the physics homework subforum.

Then it suffices to solve it by trial and error. An easy method is to graph the equation ##y=x\left(\frac{5}{6}\right)^{x-1}## with a calculator. That way the value(s) of ##N## that satisfy the OP will become clear. Once you found a suitable candidate for ##N##, you can rigorously prove that this ##N## is a good candidate by just plugging it in the equation and calculating manually.

There is no way to solve the equation analytically, so you will need to resort to trickery such as the above.

Flucky said:
Thanks but I have probably just messed up somewhere, as I don't think it will be that much hassle.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4716123#post4716123

Actually, if the problem is truly as given in the above link then the solution will involve even more hassle that what you have now. Why would you think the solution is "easy"? What do you have against plotting graphs or against using numerical methods?

What is an equation involving powers?

An equation involving powers is an algebraic expression that contains one or more variables raised to a certain power, such as x^2 or y^3. These equations are used to solve for unknown values and are commonly found in math and science problems.

What does it mean to be "stuck" on an equation involving powers?

Being "stuck" on an equation involving powers means that you are having trouble solving for the unknown variable. This can happen when there are multiple variables or powers involved, making it difficult to determine the correct solution.

What should I do if I am stuck on an equation involving powers?

If you are stuck on an equation involving powers, the best approach is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. This may involve simplifying the equation or using algebraic rules to manipulate the expression. You can also try plugging in different values for the unknown variable to see if it helps you find a solution.

What are some common strategies for solving equations involving powers?

Some common strategies for solving equations involving powers include using the power rule, factoring, and taking the square root of both sides. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of basic algebraic principles, such as combining like terms and solving for a single variable.

Why are equations involving powers important in science?

Equations involving powers are important in science because they allow us to describe and predict relationships between different variables. This is especially useful in fields such as physics and chemistry, where we need to understand how different factors affect the outcome of an experiment or observation.