Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck on an integration problem.

1. Aug 9, 2006 #1
    This is a problem I tried a couple days ago and I got stuck on some parts.Here is the problem

[tex]/int sin^2 3xcos^5 3x dx[/tex]

Can anyone help me out?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2006 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

ignore the threes.

an odd number of cosines or sines is equivalent to one of them and an even number of the other, so this is basically sin^6cos, set u = sin(x), and du = cos(x)dx

4. Aug 9, 2006 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

this is basic by the way. are you studying on your own? are you reading the book? do you have a teacher? this is really a simple one. so somehting is amiss here.

5. Aug 10, 2006 #4
    Yes I am teaching my self. Im still in 10th grade.Thank you for the help

6. Aug 10, 2006 #5

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Oh, I started self-studying calculus when I was in grade 10th, too. :approve:
    Good luck, man. :smile:

7. Aug 10, 2006 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

forgive my rudeness, you are way ahead of me at your age.

please take my criticism in the vein of the doctors comment that my wife was in "reasonably good condition for a woman in her early 20's" when she was actually 35!.

8. Aug 10, 2006 #7
    Maybe you could ask your teacher if he/she could refer you to a college or something so you could study there (just being there on their courses).
    I started Calc. at 8th grade and was tutored along with college students at a nearby college (or university, as it is called in Sweden where I live)

9. Aug 10, 2006 #8
    Thats what I want to do but my problem is I dont know Geometry. I dont understand why I cant understand it. This summer I learned Trig(I bought trig for dummies,awsome book) and started on Calculus. I am currently on integration by parts. I also love physics.

10. Aug 10, 2006 #9

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

the best book i know of on geometry is Geometry, by harold jacobs. i highly recommend it and learning geometry before going to college (or pursuing calculus much further).

hows your algebra? thts the main stumbling block for college calculus.

but in my opinion, a very harmful trend these days is teaching kids calculus befiore they learn algebra and geometry.

11. Aug 10, 2006 #10
    Ya thats what I did I made the mistake of learning trig and calculus. Im supposed to be taking a test tomarrow, if I pass this test and another one I get moved into the 12th grade math class. Thanks for the Book recomendation but its $67.00, and for a out of work 10th grader thats a bit steep,lol. My fear is there will be a lot geometry on the tests and that going to make me fail the tests.

12. Aug 10, 2006 #11

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

Geometry (ISBN: 0716704560)
    Harold R. Jacobs
    Bookseller: Great Buy Books
    (Lakewood, WA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 13.23
    [Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
    US$ 3.75
    [Rates & Speeds]
    Book Description: W.H. Freeman & Company, 1974. Hardcover. Book Condition: GOOD. Dust Jacket Condition: ACCEPTABLE. USED Ships Within 24 Hours - Satisfaction Guaranteed!. Bookseller Inventory # 2762629

13. Aug 11, 2006 #12
    hehe lol. only 3,75 dollars?
    My books cost up to 100 dollars each (college math books, last for 2 month).
    Well, sometimes you have to invest money on your education (not saying that you should put all your money on it, but a bit maybe). Also, try asking some college students if you can buy their books (second-hand that is)

14. Aug 17, 2006 #13
    Sorry to bring this old topic back, but I cant seem so figure this problem out. Its cause of the trig in the problem. So can someone do the whole problem so I can see how to do it?

15. Aug 17, 2006 #14
    Following mathwonk, we note that cos^2(x) = 1 - sin^2(x), so that cos^4(x) = (1 - sin^2(x))^2. Hence

sin^2(x)cos^5(x) =
    sin^2(x)(1 - sin^2(x))^2 * cos(x)

Now make the substitution u = sin(x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?