Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Stuck on Boundary Conditions

1. Nov 20, 2006 #1
    I have done most of a question except for the most important part, putting in the boundary conditions, I can't really interpret them.

The question is:

I managed to solve this, with -c^2 as a separation constant, and I got:

[tex]T(x,t) = X(x)F(t) = (A_{1} \cos{\frac{cx}{\sqrt{\kappa}}} + A_{2} \sin{\frac{cx}{\sqrt{\kappa}}})e^{-c^2 t}[/tex]

But then the question says,

And I can't figure out how to get this. I got T(0,t) = 100, therefore A1 e^(-c^2 t) = 100, but that doesn't tell me much. I know I need to sum over c or n at some point, but am I right in thinking you can't sum over c yet because it's a real arbitrary constant, rather than an integer n? That would probably give you the 1 though from n=0. But the problem is with the insulated end x=L, surely if it's insulated it won't lose heat, so the temperature would just go up?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2006 #2

SGT

The maximum temperature at any point is 100 degrees. The temperature at the insulated end will only reach this limit at t = infinity. So you have T(L,inf) = 100.

4. Nov 21, 2006 #3
    Thanks very much, that looks like it'll sort it. It's funny how its always such a little thing missing... Maybe it's just me.

5. Nov 21, 2006 #4
    Thanks very much, that looks like it'll sort it. It's funny how its always such a little thing missing... Maybe it's just me.

6. Nov 21, 2006 #5

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook