1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck on Boundary Conditions

1. Nov 20, 2006 #1
    I have done most of a question except for the most important part, putting in the boundary conditions, I can't really interpret them.

The question is:

I managed to solve this, with -c^2 as a separation constant, and I got:

[tex]T(x,t) = X(x)F(t) = (A_{1} \cos{\frac{cx}{\sqrt{\kappa}}} + A_{2} \sin{\frac{cx}{\sqrt{\kappa}}})e^{-c^2 t}[/tex]

But then the question says,

And I can't figure out how to get this. I got T(0,t) = 100, therefore A1 e^(-c^2 t) = 100, but that doesn't tell me much. I know I need to sum over c or n at some point, but am I right in thinking you can't sum over c yet because it's a real arbitrary constant, rather than an integer n? That would probably give you the 1 though from n=0. But the problem is with the insulated end x=L, surely if it's insulated it won't lose heat, so the temperature would just go up?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2006 #2

SGT

The maximum temperature at any point is 100 degrees. The temperature at the insulated end will only reach this limit at t = infinity. So you have T(L,inf) = 100.

4. Nov 21, 2006 #3
    Thanks very much, that looks like it'll sort it. It's funny how its always such a little thing missing... Maybe it's just me.

5. Nov 21, 2006 #4
    Thanks very much, that looks like it'll sort it. It's funny how its always such a little thing missing... Maybe it's just me.

6. Nov 21, 2006 #5

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?