Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Stuck on damped pendulum question

1. Jan 30, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Stuck on damped pendulum question...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A pendulum of length 1.00m is released at an angle of 15.0 degrees. After 1000 seconds, it's amplitude is decreased to 5.50 degrees due to friction. What is the value of [tex]b/2m[/tex]?

2. Relevant equations

w = [tex]\sqrt{w_{0}^{2} - (b/2m)^{2}}[/tex]

x(t) = Asin(wt)

[tex]w_{0} = \sqrt{g/L}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have attempted this problem from a few angles, but I don't think I'm on the right track. I am assuming that I must treat the pendulum as a simple harmonic oscillator, making the original amplitude [tex]\Pi[/tex]
    /12, and the amplitude after 1000s [tex]\Pi[/tex]/32.2. I am just not sure what to do next.

Any help is appreciated, I have a feeling I might be making this a little harder than it has to be, the answer is 1.00 * 10^-3 s^-1

EDIT

I am starting to think I can just get away with using the equation x = Ae[tex]^-(b/2m)t[/tex], but it still seems like I do not have enough information to answer this problem yet....

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

You are right. You need the ratio of the values of this quantity at two different times, which you do have. The A is a const.

4. Jan 31, 2008 #3
    I'm pretty sure you have the right amount of information, although I might be wrong.
    A is a constant (your starting amplitude in radians).
    The amplitude = 5.50 degrees (convert to radians) at t = 1000 seconds, and so you'd plug into the equation and solve for the ratio.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  5. Feb 1, 2008 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

There's no need to to converts to radians, as its the ratio that counts.

6. Feb 1, 2008 #5
    Thanks for the replies, I was able to solve this question by taking the ratio of x = Ae^-(b/bm)t. I was making this problem ALOT harder than it actually was, mostly because I didn't really understand what the previous formula was solving for. I was originally trying to treat pendulum like a simple harmonic oscillating block, and solving for its natural frequency and angular frequency due to the damping, which is why I was stuck.

Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook