Velocity and Acceleration Calculations for a Slowing Truck | Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses two different homework problems involving kinematic equations. The first problem involves a truck that travels 40.0 m in 8.25 s and slows down to a final speed of 2.05 m/s, and the second problem involves a jet plane landing with an initial speed of 117 m/s and a maximum acceleration of -5.80 m/s2. The solutions to these problems involve using the kinematics equations v=v_0 +a t and d=v_0t+1/2at^2. The minimum time needed for the plane to come to rest is 20.17 seconds and it is possible for the plane to land on a runway that is 0.800 km long
BunDa4Th
I been stuck on this homework problem for about an hour.

A truck covers 40.0 m in 8.25 s while smoothly slowing down to final speed of 2.05 m/s.

(a) Find the truck's original speed.
m/s

(b) Find its acceleration.
m/s2

I was told to use this V^2 = Vo^2 + 2AdeltaX but became lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I finally just figure out how to do this and got the answer

a. 7.65m/s and b. -.70

A jet plane lands with a speed of 117 m/s and can accelerate at a maximum rate of -5.80 m/s2 as it comes to rest.

(a) From the instant the plane touches the runway, what is the minimum time needed before it can come to rest?
s
(b) Can this plane land on a small tropical island airport where the runway is 0.800 km long?
yes
no
What is the actual minimum distance needed to stop the plane?
km

Can anyone help me with that?

a) just requires a straight application of [tex]v=v_0 +a t [/tex]

b) after solving part a, you'll have the time, use that along with velocities (initial and final) in another common kinematics equation, and solve for distance. Then you'll know if .8km is long enough AND you'll have the answer for the 2nd part of b.

Thanks for the help and I was able to solve this.

What should I do if I am stuck on a homework problem?

If you are stuck on a homework problem, the first thing you should do is take a break. Sometimes stepping away from a problem for a little while can help clear your mind and allow you to approach it with a fresh perspective.

How can I better understand the problem?

One way to better understand a problem is to break it down into smaller parts. This can help you identify the specific areas that you are having trouble with and allow you to focus on them individually.

Should I ask for help?

It is always a good idea to ask for help if you are stuck on a homework problem. You can reach out to your teacher, a classmate, or a tutor for assistance. Sometimes just explaining the problem to someone else can help you understand it better.

What if I can't find the answer?

If you are unable to find the answer to a homework problem, don't panic. It is important to remember that not all problems have a clear-cut answer. In these cases, focus on understanding the concepts and principles behind the problem rather than just finding the answer.

How can I avoid getting stuck on homework problems in the future?

To avoid getting stuck on homework problems in the future, make sure to keep up with your classwork and take notes during lectures. This can help you stay on top of the material and identify any areas that you may need to review or ask for help with.