Volume of Solid within Sphere and Outside Cone | Integration Homework Solution

In summary, the problem asks to find the volume of a solid within a sphere, above the xy plane, and outside a cone. The solution can be found using spherical coordinates, with theta varying from 0 to 2pi and phi being the intersection of the sphere and cone. The conversion to spherical polar can help determine the limits of integration for phi.
iamwilson

Homework Statement

FInd the volume of the solid that lies within the sphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1, above the xy plane, and outside the cone z = 3 \sqrt{x^2+y^2}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to use rdzdrd(theta) to integrate this question but i can't get it right, i used 0 to 2pi for theta, z is from 3r to sqrt(1-r^2), and r is from 0 to sqrt(1/10), help

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this might be easier to do in spherical coordinates where the volume element is:

[tex] dV = r^{2}sin(\phi)dr d\theta d\phi [/tex]

i also tried that way but how do i get phi though and theta

You know that theta should vary from 0 to 2pi because you aren't restricted to any octant here. To find phi, you should find the intersection of the sphere and the cone. I think the easiest will be to do this in cartesian and then convert them to spherical polar. Upon the conversion, you will see at what phi this happens. Then you know that phi will vary form the point of intersection down to pi/2, which will satisfy the requirement that you are above the xy plane.

so i did as u said, i changed them to spherical polar, z=3psin(phi), but x^2+y^2+z^2=1, i don't know how to change that to shperical polar, could you please help me. the homework is due tomorrow and I've a test on that day too! thanks!

1. What is integration in science?

Integration in science refers to the process of combining different disciplines, methods, or theories to gain a better understanding of a complex problem or phenomenon. It involves synthesizing information from various sources and perspectives to create a more comprehensive understanding of a topic.

2. Why is integration important in science?

Integration is important in science because it allows us to connect different pieces of knowledge and build a more complete picture of the world around us. It also helps us to identify patterns and relationships between seemingly unrelated phenomena, leading to new insights and discoveries.

3. How do scientists integrate information?

Scientists integrate information by actively seeking out and incorporating diverse perspectives and evidence from different fields of study. This can involve conducting interdisciplinary research, collaborating with experts from other disciplines, and using a variety of analytical methods and tools.

4. What are the challenges of integration in science?

Some of the challenges of integration in science include the complexity and diversity of topics, the potential for conflicting information and perspectives, and the need for effective communication and collaboration between researchers from different fields. It also requires time, resources, and a willingness to embrace new ideas and approaches.

5. Can integration be applied to all areas of science?

Yes, integration can be applied to all areas of science, including natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities. It is a fundamental aspect of scientific inquiry and can be used to address a wide range of research questions and problems.