1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck on normalization

1. Apr 16, 2006 #1
    Hi there
    I'm stuck on one of the normalization question,
    I'd be glad if you can help me out.
    The questions is, psi(r)=Ne^(-ar) where N is a normalization constant and a is a known real parameter.
    Solution reads, 1=int dr lpsi(r)l^2 = 4piN^2 int (from 0 to infinity) dr r^2 e^(-2ar)
    What I don't get is how to get integral from 0 to infinity?(instead of -infinity to +infinity) with extra factor 4pi r^2?
    Thanks for your help

P.S. the solution also says, use the following integral, n larger than or equal to 0: int(0 to infinity)dx x^n e^(-x)=n factorial
    I don't get where you use above integral.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2006 #2
    It seems you are stuck with math problem. Here is a little help:

In order to calculate normalization, you need to calculate volume integral from equation:

[tex]\int_{all space} |\Psi(\vec{r})|^2 d \vec{r} = 1[/tex].

Now the thing is, people use notation [tex]d\vec{r}[/tex] to actually mean a little volume element (dV if you will). In spherical coordinates, small element of space (volume) can be written as:

[tex]dV = (r \sin{\theta}) (r d\phi) dr[/tex],

where r now represents distance from the origin (the length of vector r). To cover all space when using spherical coordinates, you need to take the limits for three variables (r from 0 to infinity, theta from 0 to pi, phi from zero to 2pi; these can be easily visualized if you draw a picture). Therefore, normalization integral is actually triple integral:

[tex]\int_{r=0}^{\infty} \int_{\theta = 0}^{\pi} \int_{\phi = 0}^{2\pi} |\Psi(r, \theta, \phi)|^2 r^2 \sin{\theta} d\phi d\theta dr[/tex].

If wavefunction depends only on variable r ([tex]\Psi(\vec{r}) = \Psi(r, \theta, \phi) = \Psi(r)[/tex]), you can actually carry out integration over theta and phi. Try to do yourself from here :smile:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?