Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck on proof irreducible spherical tensor operator

1. May 22, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone,

I'm stuck on proving that a certain operator is an irreducible spherical tensor operator. These are tensor operators [itex]T^{k}_{q}[/itex] with [itex]-k \leq q\leq k[/itex] satisfying

[itex]\mathscr{D} T^{k}_{q} \mathscr{D}^{\dagger} = \sum_{q'} \mathscr{D}^{k}_{q' q} T^{k}_{q'} [/itex]

where [itex]\mathscr{D}\left(\hat{n},\phi\right) =\exp\left[-\frac{i\phi}{\hbar} \vec{J}\cdot \hat{n} \right][/itex] is the Wigner-D matrix and [itex]\mathscr{D}^k_{q' q}[/itex] are its matrix elements with respect to the angular momentum basis [itex]| k q \rangle[/itex].

Now I wish to prove that [itex]X^{k_1}_{q_1} = T^{k_1}_{q_1} \otimes \mathbb{1} [/itex] is an irreducible spherical tensor operator whenever [itex]T^{k_1}_{q_1} [/itex] is.
    Thus, I wish to prove
    [itex]\mathscr{D} X^{k_1}_{q_1} \mathscr{D}^{\dagger} = \sum_{q_1'} \mathscr{D}^{k_1}_{q_1' q_1} X^{k_1}_{q_1'} [/itex].

I know that [itex]\mathscr{D}= \mathscr{D}_1 \otimes \mathscr{D}_2 [/itex] in terms of the Wigner D matrices on the components of the tensor product HIlbert space, but I can't seem to apply this to get the above formula. All I can get is
    [itex]\mathscr{D} X^{k_1}_{q_1} \mathscr{D}^{\dagger} = \sum_{q_1'} \mathscr{D}^{k_1}_{1 q_1' q_1} [/itex],

with the wigner D matrix D_1 on the right hand side instead of the regular one.
    Can anyone help with this?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted