Solve Quadratic Equation: 5x^2 - 16tx + 3t^2

In summary: The factors are (5x - t) and (x - 3t), so x = t/5 or x = 3t.In summary, the equation 5x^2 - 16tx + 3t^2=0 can be solved by factoring into (5x - t) (x - 3t) = 0 and solving for x, resulting in x = t/5 or x = 3t. The technique used is factoring, as opposed to using the quadratic formula.
Atomised
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Solve 5x^2 - 16tx + 3t^2 for x without using quadratic formula.

I am interested in understanding the technique - I have the answers already: t/5, 3t

Homework Equations

I have solved the subsequent question which is:

tx^2 + (tT - 1)x - T = 0, which seems easier because it breaks into four clusters which can be factored, then refactored and solved. The one I am asking about does not seem amenable to the same approach, or any other that I know.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am interested in higher maths but having to mend holes in elementary technique. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Atomised said:

Homework Statement

Solve 5x^2 - 16tx + 3t^2 for x without using quadratic formula.

I am interested in understanding the technique - I have the answers already: t/5, 3t

Homework Equations

I have solved the subsequent question which is:

tx^2 + (tT - 1)x - T = 0, which seems easier because it breaks into four clusters which can be factored, then refactored and solved. The one I am asking about does not seem amenable to the same approach, or any other that I know.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am interested in higher maths but having to mend holes in elementary technique. Thanks in advance.

is the whole equation 5x^2 - 16tx + 3t^2=0?

Since 5 and 3 are both prime, you only have 4 different possibilities of how the terms appear when you use the factor method. Perhaps the variable t is throwing you off? Start by letting t = 1 just so it's clearer to you and then go back and solve the equation with t.

Also, you can only solve for a variable if you have an equation. The original expression must be set equal to 0.

Likes 1 person
Yes - the only other info stated in the question is 'Express x in terms of the other letters'.

Ah apologies - I have only stated the LHS, the equation is

5x^2 - 16tx + 3t^2=0

Last edited:
Thank you Scurty, the t was throwing me.

(5x - t) (x - 3t)

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is called quadratic because the highest power of x in the equation is 2.

2. How do you solve a quadratic equation?

To solve a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / (2a). Alternatively, you can factor the equation or complete the square to find the solutions.

3. What is the discriminant of a quadratic equation?

The discriminant of a quadratic equation is the expression under the square root in the quadratic formula: b^2 - 4ac. It can be used to determine the number and nature of the solutions of a quadratic equation.

4. How does the value of the discriminant affect the solutions of a quadratic equation?

The value of the discriminant can determine the number and nature of the solutions of a quadratic equation. If the discriminant is positive, there are two distinct real solutions. If it is zero, there is one real solution. If it is negative, there are two complex solutions.

5. How can you solve the quadratic equation 5x^2 - 16tx + 3t^2?

This quadratic equation can be solved by factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. The solutions will depend on the value of t and may be real or complex numbers.