How Do You Calculate Free Energy for Gas Atoms Adsorbed on a Metal Surface?

• Thread starter TroyElliott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary: This will allow you to simplify the expression and use the fact that ##k_{B}T\ln(M!) \approx Mk_{B}T\ln(M)##. Additionally, you can use the fact that ##e^{\beta \Delta} = y## and from there, you can get the final expression for the free energy. In summary, the free energy of a metal surface with N ≫ 1 atoms adsorbed on M > N adhesion sites can be calculated using the Stirling approximation and the equation F = −N∆ + MkBT[(1 − y) ln(1 − y) + y ln y], where y = N/M.
TroyElliott
Originally posted in a technical forum section, so no HW template
The problem goes as follows... "

One model for the adsorption of gas atoms on a metal surface approximates the surface to be a corregated muffin-tin potential. A gas atom can lower its energy by sitting in one of the potential minima which are the adhesion sites on the surface each with a binding energy ∆. Ignore all other interactions. Show that the free energy of exactly N ≫ 1 atoms adsorbed to a metal surface with M > N adhesion sites is

F = −N∆ + MkBT[(1 − y) ln(1 − y) + y ln y],

where y = N/M."

My attempt at this problem goes as follows. This is a two level energy system, say with energy of 0 defined at the non-binding parts of the muffin-tin and ##-\Delta## in the binding wells. We can then write our partition function as follows,

$$Z = \binom{M}{0}+\binom{M}{1}e^{\beta \Delta}+\binom{M}{2}e^{\beta 2\Delta}+...+\binom{M}{N}e^{\beta N\Delta},$$

where ##\binom{M}{N}## is defined as ##\frac{M!}{N!(M-N)!}.##

This can be written as a series given by $$Z = \sum_{k=0}^{N}\binom{M}{k}e^{k\beta \Delta}.$$

When can be slightly further simplified to $$\ln{Z} = \ln{(M!)}+\ln{(\sum_{k=0}^{N}\frac{e^{k\beta \Delta}}{k!(M-k)!})}.$$

I know that the free energy is given by ##F = -k_{b}T\ln{(Z)}##, but I am not sure how to simplify the sum in order to get the correct free energy. Any ideas on where to go from here would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since N ≫ 1, you can use the Stirling approximation.

1. How do I approach a difficult Stat. Mech. problem?

The best approach to a difficult Stat. Mech. problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Start by identifying what concepts and equations are relevant to the problem, and then work through each step carefully. It can also be helpful to consult with peers or your instructor for additional guidance.

2. What are the most common mistakes in solving Stat. Mech. problems?

Some common mistakes in solving Stat. Mech. problems include forgetting to properly account for all of the variables and assumptions, not following the correct mathematical steps, and not checking for errors or inconsistencies in the final solution. It is important to carefully review each step and double-check your work before submitting your answer.

3. How do I know which equations to use in a Stat. Mech. problem?

The equations used in a Stat. Mech. problem are usually given in the problem statement or can be derived from fundamental concepts and principles. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, and then choose the appropriate equations that will help you solve it. If you are unsure, you can always ask for clarification from your instructor.

4. What is the best way to check my answer for a Stat. Mech. problem?

The best way to check your answer for a Stat. Mech. problem is to rework the problem using a different approach or set of equations. You can also compare your answer to the given solution (if provided) or ask a peer or instructor to review your work. If your answer does not match the expected result, carefully review your steps and equations to identify any errors.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Stat. Mech. concepts?

To improve your understanding of Stat. Mech. concepts, it is important to practice solving various types of problems. You can also review your class notes and textbook, attend lectures or study groups, and ask questions to your instructor or peers. Additionally, visual aids and simulations can be helpful in visualizing and understanding complex concepts in Stat. Mech.