Stuck on taking the integral of

In summary, the conversation is about solving a difficult problem involving foiling and using the u-substitution method. The participants discuss various techniques and approaches, highlighting the importance of having strong algebra skills in order to excel in calculus and other advanced mathematics.
carlchen
from 0 to 3, ( 1 + [ 1/2x^(1/2) - 1/2x^(-1/2) ]^2 )^(1/2) dx

I started to foil the ^2 term and then tryed to use the u sub, but It doesn't seem to work out. this problem is killing me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try that again! ((1/2)x1/2- (1/2)x-1/2)1/2=
(1/4)x- 1/2+ (1/4)x-1.

Now, when you add 1 to that you get (1/4)x+ 1/2+ (1/4)x-1. In other words, exactly the same thing except with +1/2 instead of -1/2!

Now that = (what?)2.

I think HallsofIvy is saying mess about with the algebra. I did and in a few steps got:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int_0^3 x^{\frac{1}{2}} + x^{-\frac{1}{2}} dx[/tex]

But I am not 100% confident on my skills so don't just copy that down.

Another proof that you need to be good at algebra in order to be good at calculus.

e(ho0n3 said:
Another proof that you need to be good at algebra in order to be good at calculus.

And you have to be good at calculus to be good at differential equations- and you have to be good at differential equations to be good at analysis, It just keeps going!

1. How do I take the integral of a function?

The process of taking the integral of a function involves finding the antiderivative of that function, which is a new function that, when differentiated, will give the original function. This can be done using various methods such as integration by substitution, integration by parts, or using specific integration rules.

2. What is the difference between indefinite and definite integrals?

An indefinite integral does not have specific limits of integration and results in a general antiderivative of a function. On the other hand, a definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives the exact numerical value of the area under the curve of a function between those limits.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals?

Yes, there are various online and offline calculators that can solve integrals, including definite and indefinite integrals. However, it is important to understand the concept and process of integration rather than solely relying on calculators.

4. How do I know which method to use when taking an integral?

The method used to take an integral depends on the form of the function. For example, if the function is a product of two functions, integration by parts can be used. If the function involves trigonometric functions, integration by substitution may be a better option. It is important to familiarize yourself with different integration techniques to determine the most suitable method.

5. Can I use integration to solve real-world problems?

Yes, integration has various applications in real-world problems such as calculating areas and volumes, finding the average value of a function, and determining the displacement and velocity of an object. Many scientific and engineering fields use integration to solve practical problems.