Solve Tension and Acceleration for 2 Blocks Connected by Rope

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two blocks connected by a rope over a pulley on frictionless planes. Using equations and a solution attempt, the acceleration of both blocks is found to be 4.1 m/s2 and the tension in the rope is determined to be 227.5 N. The conversation also includes a clarification on how to determine the y direction and the use of an unknown variable for tension to simplify the problem.
michael1872

Homework Statement

Two blocks m1 and m2 are at rest, each on a frictionless plane and are connected by a massless rope passing over a frictionless pulley. The pully is at the top of where the two planes connect to make an angle of 90 degrees. the plane with m1 is to the left and makes an angle of 30 degree.

Find the acceleration and tension where m1 = 25kg, m2 = 50kg, gravity = 10 m/s2

Homework Equations

2||N F = MA

The Attempt at a Solution

for acceleration I found the y component of the force of each block

block 1 F1 = m1*a*sinθ1
F = (25)*(10)*sin(30)
F = 125 N

block 2 F2 = m2*a*sinθ2
F = (50)*(10)*sin(60); angle 2 is 60 because it's a 30-60-90 triangle.
F = 433 N

then I solve for acceleration as the sum of force over the sum of masses

a = (F1 + F2)/(m1 + m2) = 4.1 m/s2

Here we can say that the acceleration of both blocks is 4.1 m/s2

Also, tension is the same as well. (this is the part I don't get, how is tension the same)

I solve for tension as

T1 - m1*g*sinθ1 = m1*a
-T2 + m2*g*cosθ2 = m2*a \\ I don't understand why they use cos, shouldn't it be sin for the y

As 3||N every force has an equal and opposite reacting force.

T1 = T2 // I don't understand how T1 = T2 like this.

T1 = m1*a + m1*g*sinθ1
T2 = -(m2*a - m2*g*cosθ2)

T1 = (25)*(4.1) + (25)*(10)*(sin(30))
T1 = 102.5 + 125 = 227.5 N
Thus T2 = 227.5 N as well because T1 = T2

Physics news on Phys.org
michael1872 said:
the plane with m1 is to the left and makes an angle of 30 degree.
to what - the vertical or the horizontal?
for acceleration I found the y component of the force of each block
block 1 F1 = m1*a*sinθ1
what are you choosing as the y direction? what is a?
then I solve for acceleration as the sum of force over the sum of masses
a = (F1 + F2)/(m1 + m2) = 4.1 m/s2
Don't these forces oppose in some way?
To avoid confusing yourself, introduce an unknown for the tension. Consider the free body diagram and equations for each mass separately.

1. How do I calculate the tension in the rope connecting two blocks?

To calculate the tension in the rope, you need to use Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. In this case, the net force is the tension in the rope, and the mass is the combined mass of the two blocks. You can then solve for the tension by plugging in the values for the mass and acceleration.

2. What is the relationship between tension and acceleration in this scenario?

The relationship between tension and acceleration in this scenario is directly proportional. This means that as the tension in the rope increases, the acceleration of the blocks also increases. Similarly, if the tension decreases, the acceleration decreases as well.

3. How do I determine the acceleration of the two blocks?

To determine the acceleration of the two blocks, you can use the same equation from Newton's Second Law that was used to calculate tension. However, this time, you would solve for acceleration by dividing the net force (tension) by the combined mass of the two blocks.

4. Can the tension in the rope ever be greater than the weight of the two blocks combined?

Yes, it is possible for the tension in the rope to be greater than the weight of the two blocks combined. This could occur if an external force, such as a person pulling on the rope, is added to the system, causing the tension to increase.

5. How does the angle of the rope affect the tension and acceleration of the blocks?

The angle of the rope can affect the tension and acceleration of the blocks. If the rope is at an angle, the tension will be divided into two components: one parallel to the direction of motion and one perpendicular. The perpendicular component will have no effect on the motion of the blocks, while the parallel component will contribute to the acceleration. Therefore, a greater angle of the rope can result in a lower tension and acceleration of the blocks.