1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck on the last step of a problem. Help please.

1. Aug 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a problem from L.D. Landau and E.M. Lifgarbagez "Mechanics (3 ed): Course of Theoretical Physics, Volume 1" [itex]\S 11.[/itex] Motion in one dimension:
    Problem 2b. Determine the period of oscillation, as a function of energy, when a particle of mass [itex]m[/itex] moves in the firld for which the potential energy is
    [itex]U=-U_0/\cosh^2\alpha x,\quad -U_0<E<0[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]T(E)=\sqrt{2m}\int_{x_1(E)}^{x_2(E)}\frac{dx}{ \sqrt{E-U(x)} }[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I rewrite the integral, due to symmetry, as
    [itex]T(E)=2\sqrt{2m}\int_{0}^{x_0}\frac{dx}{ \sqrt{E-U(x)} }[/itex]
    and find the [itex]x_0[/itex] that satisfies [itex]E=U(x)[/itex]:
    [itex]x_0=\frac{1}{\alpha}\cosh^{-1}(\sqrt{-U_0/E})[/itex]

*For sake of brevity I wont show some intermediate steps, unless it is requested of me.*

Simplifying: *Note:[itex]\sech\psi=\sqrt{-U_0/E}\sech\alpha x[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{dx}{\sqrt{E+U_0\sech^2\alpha x}}=\frac{1}{\alpha\sqrt{-U_0}}\frac{d\psi}{\sqrt{1+\sech^2\psi}}=\frac{d\psi}{\alpha\sqrt{-U_0}\tanh\psi}[/itex]

Integration leads to:
    [itex] T=\frac{2}{\alpha}\sqrt{-2m/U_0}[\ln|\sinh\psi|]_0^{\psi_0}=2\sqrt{2m/E}[\ln|\sqrt{-U_0/E}\sinh\alpha x|]_0^{x_0} [/itex]

Which gives me something messy:
    [itex] \frac{2}{\alpha}\sqrt{-2m/U_0}\ln[\sinh(\frac{1}{\alpha}\cosh^{-1}(\sqrt{-U_0/E}))] [/itex]

Which I have no idea how to simplify. I know the answer is supposed to be [itex] \frac{\pi}{\alpha}\sqrt{2m/E} [/itex] which my answer somewhat resembles, but I dont know how to simplify that Natural log. I tried writing sinh in terms of exponents, and I tried using Mechanical Similarity (Landau made a vauge comment alluding to MS: right before stating the answer to part (b), to which he shows no work) he states:
    "The dependence of [itex] T [/itex] on [itex] E [/itex] is in accordance with the law of mechanical similarity (10.2), (10.3)." I tried using the result from part (a), which i easliy enough found using beta functions:
    [itex] U=A|x|^n\rightarrow T=\frac{2}{n}\sqrt{2\pi m/E}\cdot(E/A)^{1/n}\frac{\Gamma(1/n)}{\Gamma(1/n+1/2)} [/itex]. But i don't really understand MS so i couldnt use it.

BIO: Im a highschool student who is self taught, and i have nobody to ask for guidence on problems, any help is appreciated...

PS: is there any way to just type in LaTeX language, rather than use the HTML like headers?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?