Creating an Ohmmeter: Solving a HW Problem Using Kirchov's Laws

• Thread starter jnol6056
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary: So you can use this constraint equation to get rid of one uknown, but you will still end up with two uknowns in the end.In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of an ohmmeter using an ammeter, series resistor, and battery. The scale for this ohmmeter is different from traditional ammeters and voltmeters, with zero resistance resulting in full-scale deflection and infinite resistance resulting in no deflection. The conversation also includes equations and variables for solving the problem, as well as a discussion on how to obtain approximate values for the resistances. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the problem may be unsolvable with the given information and suggests picking any two values for the resistances.
jnol6056
Here is the pblm, but i can't seem to get a foothold as where to start. I've tried starting with Kirchov's Laws, but can't see to get anywhere with them. Plz help.

*One type of ohmmeter consists of an ammeter connected to a series resistor and a battery. The scale is different from ammeters and voltmeters. Zero resistance correspodns to full-scale deflection (because maximum current flows from the battery), whereas infinite resistance corresponds to no deflection (no current flow). Suppose a 3.0V battery is used, and a glavanometer that has an internal resistance of 25ohms and deflects full-scale for a current of 35 microAmps. What values of shunt resistance, R(shunt), and series resistance, R(series), are needed to make an ohmmeter that registers a mid-mid scale deflection( that is half the max) for a resistance of 30ohms? [Note: and additional series resistor ( variable) is also needed so the meter can be zeroed. the sero should be checked frequently by touching the leads together, sinc e the battery voltage can vary. Because of battery voltage variation, such ohmmeters are not precision instruments, but they are useful to obtain approx. values.]

Attachments

• eq.GIF
    eq.GIF
    43.1 KB · Views: 480
Physics news on Phys.org
here is what I have so far as to the equations that I'm using:

C: I1-I2-I3=0
Loop 1: 3-I1*R(series)-I3*R(shunt)=0
Loop 2: -I2*r-I2*R(G)+I3*R(shunt)=0

My first question, should I use the 30ohm measured resistance along with I1 in loop 1? And my second question, is the value for I2*r irrelivant to the equation since it is a variable resistance and the voltage being used is a constant of 3V? And if so, would I2=35microamperes?

You know that the galvanometer deflects fully for a current of 35uA, so if you want it to deflect halfway you need a current of 17.5uA, let's call it I(r). R(L) will be 30ohm, which is the resistance you measure. If I(sh) is the current through shunt resistance, then I(ser), the current through the battery, is I(sh) + 17.5uA. So you have three uknowns: R(sh), R(ser) and I(sh). That's one uknown too many, since you only have two loops to solve:

[tex]3v = R_{ser}(I_{sh} + I_r) + R_L(I_{sh} + I_r) + rI_r[/tex]
[tex]3v = R_{ser}(I_{sh} + I_r) + R_L(I_{sh} + I_r) + R_{sh}I_{sh}[/tex]

So what we do is express I(sh) as a function R(sh). You know that the potential drop on r and R(sh) is equal, so:

[tex]V_r = V_{sh} = rI_r = R_{sh}I_{sh}[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]I_{sh} = I_r\frac{r}{R_{sh}}[/tex]

So you now have two uknowns with two equations:

[tex]3v = R_{ser}(I_r\frac{r}{R_{sh}} + I_r) + R_L(I_r\frac{r}{R_{sh}} + I_r) + rI_r[/tex]
[tex]3v = R_{ser}(I_r\frac{r}{R_{sh}} + I_r) + R_L(I_r\frac{r}{R_{sh}} + I_r) + R_{sh}I_r\frac{r}{R_{sh}}[/tex]

Except that the 2nd equation is actually identical to the 1st equation, so you still have one variable too many. I don't really see how you can solve this question, so I'm guessing that they are asking just for any two values that will work.* If that's the case, you can solve the first equation for R(ser):

[tex]R_{ser} = \frac{3v - R_L(I_r\frac{r}{R_{sh}} + I_r) - rI_r}{I_r\frac{r}{R_{sh}} + I_r}[/tex]

And now you can just pick whatever value you want for R(sh) and get the corresponding value for R(ser). For example, for R(sh) = 50ohm you would get R(ser) = 114.2kohm. Or for R(sh) = 5ohm you would get R(ser) = 28.5kohm. Or for R(sh) = 1ohm you would get R(ser) = 6.6kohm.

* I might be wrong there, so feel free to correct me anyone.

Last edited:
What about the constraint equation I1-I2-I3=0? Wouldn't that count as a third equation for figuring out the two resistances? Also, I was wondering if you could include a 30ohm resistor since that is what is being measured.

I did include a 30ohm resistor, that's R(L). As for the constraint equation, it wouldn't help in this case. The only current in our final equation is I(r), so even though constraint equation is correct, it's not very useful. This is because I already used it when I said "If I(sh) is the current through shunt resistance, then I(ser), the current through the battery, is I(sh) + 17.5uA."

1. What is an ohmmeter?

An ohmmeter is a device used to measure electrical resistance in a circuit.

2. Why is Kirchov's Laws used in creating an ohmmeter?

Kirchov's Laws, specifically Ohm's Law, is used to relate the voltage and current in a circuit to its resistance. This is essential in calculating the resistance of a circuit, which is what an ohmmeter is designed to measure.

3. What materials are needed to create an ohmmeter?

To create an ohmmeter, you will need a battery, a resistor, a voltmeter, and a switch. These materials are used to form a simple series circuit, which is necessary for applying Kirchov's Laws.

4. How does an ohmmeter work?

An ohmmeter works by passing a small known current through a circuit and measuring the voltage drop across a resistor. Using Ohm's Law, the resistance of the circuit can be calculated by dividing the voltage by the current. This resistance value is then displayed on the ohmmeter's scale.

5. What are the limitations of an ohmmeter?

An ohmmeter, like any other measuring device, has its limitations. It can only measure resistance in a closed circuit, and it is not accurate in circuits with high voltage or high frequency. Additionally, an ohmmeter cannot measure resistances that are very low or very high (outside its range). Regular calibration is also necessary to maintain accuracy.